E-link not working

Tonyob

For some reason myHornby e-link is not sending 12/15 volts to the track. if i check the voltage across the track outlet i am getting a reading of 240v. obviously it is not 240v or i would be lying on the floor wondering what hit me.

Is there a way of testing the e-link to see what might be wrong. I do not particulary want to spend £90-100 on a new e- link if i can help it.

Thank you Tony

Basic checks are to start at the power supply. Does its output at the jack plug match what is on the label.

Next check the eLink - presumably the green light is on.

Have you got your multimeter set on AC volts. This will give you a rough and ready 15 v AC from a DCC signal. DCC  is not real AC so the reading is an approximation. The actual voltage seen will depend upon the frequency range of your meter. The higher the better - see meter spec for this.

Check not only at the track but direct at the eLink Track terminals with the track disconnected.

Do not expect to get any reading from the Prog output as this is a short burst during programming only and a digital meter will likely not register the activity.

Thank you RAF96

Followed your logic and found I had two problems. The main issue was a poor contact in the main buzz loop. This was confounded  by the battery in my multimeter being low and giving incorrect readings from the e-link. Problem now solved. Thank you.

Tony