Vent Van 2 Decoder Type

No. The VentVan is a variant of a TTS decoder.

Double click CV7 and choose one of the TTS listed options. There might even possibly be a V.Van TTS in the CV7 'doubleclick' dropdown list.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Both Vent Vans come up if you search on their R number when listing them.. the subsequent CV listing correctly populates the sound set of each Van. This was introduced a couple of revisions ago at my request as I was doing a local model shop demo using them within RM.

On double clicking CV7 the obvious choice is "Hornby TTS" bur this sill does not give the correct number of CVs. I need to get to CVs 160 to 190 to adjust the sound levels.  Also the on/off toggle of the loop sounds does not switch off when the "F button" is selected even though it changes from green to gray.

My CV7 (out of the box) says the decoder is R8245 Sapphire although the F numbers/descriptions appear correct.

Start from the beginning.

• Open the RailMaster 'Locomotive Settings' screen.
  • Do not open any existing 'Locomotive Settings' entry listed in the loco roster list such as your Vent Van for example. This will leave the loco details on the RHS of the loco Window blank - this is important to follow.
  • Instead, go straight to the CV Read / Writing screen.
  • Do not initate any 'Read' CV task of any kind [this step is super critical that you follow without question - see caveat below].

Following the above instructions will make RM into a pure CV writing utility with ALL CVs available to be written to. Note that this statement states 'Write to CVs' and not 'Read'.

Caveat: Although you can still read individual CV values as long as you do not try to read CV7 and/or CV8. If you accidently read these two CVs by mistake, then go back to the beginning and start again. The key to this 'workaround' working is to ensure that RailMaster has absolutely no idea what decoder it is trying to write to.

Place your VV on the 'programming' track.

Now you can write to any CV you want without hiderance.

Make all the adjustments you want to make to CVs 160 to 190 using the normal CV writing process i.e the write 'Pen' icon.

Once complete close the 'Loco Settings' screen without saving. The CV changes will still be stored in the decoder memory, so using the process I have just outlined is perfectly OK and valid.

If you read the VV TTS leaflet you will see each sound has a play-out time, which varies according to which sound it is and where the sound has got to in the play loop when you tell it to stop.

It has to play to the end of the sound set before it will stop. Some can be as long as 30 seconds.

This is very important as it affects which if any next sound you can select.

CV7 is coming up as value 10 which is what the Sapphire has for an ID. Later versions of TTS decoders had their ID code changed to avoid being confused with R8249 and R8245. Unfortunately you cannot retro change the ID and RM has no memory of what you told it it was last time, so even if HRMS amend their database for the R number of the product so as to list the correct TTS CV set, RM will still only read what the decoder ID is. The answer is don’t read if you don’t need, e.g. if only wanting to see the sound level range, then set that range in the option before reading.