1/76-72 French at Waterloo

1 & 2 Batallions, 17e Régiment de Ligne 

50150637546_c54c06be0a_z.jpg

While the Guard and the cavalry received much of the attention, it was as the ordinary infantry that was the backbone of Napoleon’s armies, doing most of the fighting and dying. They were the essential element in all his victories, making the French Army the most powerful in Europe in his hands. The Eagle was carried with the 2nd Fusilier Company of I Battalion in every line and light infantry regiment. (One would expect that the elite grenadiers, or voltigeurs, and not the lowly fusiliers, carried the eagle. It was not however the best idea. The grenadiers were the ones who got the most frequently into the most dangerous situations. Thus, the Grenadier Company was not a safe place for the eagle. The voltigeurs often fought in skirmish formation, and in the woods and villages. The long and thin skirmish line is the worst place for the eagle with flag.)

50150873432_ef27303e31_z.jpg

Grenadiers (with an officer)

50150637531_e80114a199_z.jpg

Fusiliers wearing shako

50150637506_465fceac5a_z.jpg

Fusiliers wearing pokalem

50150873397_b467553f13_z.jpg

Voltigeurs

50150090873_04a2ea90b2_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

it depends on what you're using the flag for, to get men to fololow then it should be with the grenadier/shock troops at the front "follow the flag lads" if on the defensive it should be in the middle of the formation to denote where that is.

I've done georgian era re-enacting for 25+ years and the noise and smoke of muskets is mind blasting so you want something eay to locate and identify.

As for them falling. my favorite was a cry by the sgt of the Scots greys at waterloo having hacked down the color guard and siged the eagle he cried out "Be-jesus boys! i have the Koo-Koo!" 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just a quick question Ratch...

Do you produce the beautifully painted and presented figures as models in their own right, or to be used in War Gaming? Obviously the RAF and Luftwaffe personnel are more to do (presumably...) with setting up dioramas etc, but I just wondered - purely out of interest seeing how much time and effort must go in to producing them so beautifully - whether they then get bashed around in war games?

Cheers. These Napoleonic are intended as wargame pieces. I have played some small skirmishes with them. I've also done some American Civil War figures for wargaming, but not enough to play with yet.

I use a brush, dab a little of the Dipping Formula in the lid of the jar, dip the brush in water and back in the lid, then brush over the figure until I get the effect I want. Initially, I tried dipping a figure in the pot (as the title insinuates) but felt this was too heavy. By thinning with water I can manipulate the density. I do all the painting, washing and spraying with the figures impaled on cocktail sticks to minimise handling. After the wash they're set aside to dry before the matt varnish spray (though this can be done with a brush too).