Dcc Select (R8213) Tripping out on all locos

TwoSecondJoe

Hi guys 

I need some advice, my Hornby DCC select controller keeps tripping out on my class 47 TTS sound Loco. It happens Instantly as soon as a train goes on the track and will just keep resetting over and over. I have replaced the DCC sound decoder and checked all the connections on the loco with no results. unfortunately I only own one DCC loco as I'm just starting out So I can't test any over locos. any advice? 

Many thanks 

Will the loco wheels turn if you connect a PP9 9 volt battery across the wheels with the pickups on them?

If the wheels turn, then it looks as if your Select power pack is faulty .... I am assuming that it is the default 1 amp PSU which has a proven fault history. If the 1 amp PSU can not provide the amount of current being drawn, then it enters protection mode by reducing the voltage output. This causes the Select to enter into the observed constant 'reboot' loop until such time as the current load drops below the PSU trigger value. Some faulty 1 amp PSUs have been proven to enter this 'protection' state when the current trigger value has for some reason become too low due to a fault in the PSU.

However, if the wheels on the loco do not turn with a 9 volt battery, this does not provide conclusive proof that the loco is faulty, it may just be that 'DC Operation' is turned off in the TTS decoder.

You really need access to a multimeter in order to diagnose exactly what is faulty by measuring the current being drawn by the loco. Cheap multimeters can be purchased from eBay for less than £8 delivered. With DCC you use the AC current measurement feature on a multimeter. If the loco is only drawing about 100 to 180mA, yet the Select is still in a constant 'reboot' cycle, then that would indicate the PSU as being faulty. If the loco is drawing 500mA or more, then that would indicate that the issue is still in the loco even though you have replaced the decoder.

It would also be helpful to know what firmware version is installed on your Select. Tell us the very first numerical number to appear briefly on the Select screen as it is being powered up.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

From what you say the Select is OK until you put a loco on track. That points at the loco being the problem, but as Chris says it may be the PSU entering overload condition at too low a value.

With only one loco  to work with fault diagnosis is down to using a meter, however if the loco runs when the battery is applied to the wheels,  then you can take diagnosis a step further by disconnecting your Select from the track, then place the loco on track and apply the battery terminals to the rails. Does the loco still run or not. It is essential the Select is disconnected before you try this.

My money was on the PSU. But I am intrigued as to how you could find a replacement so quickly. Firstly, the PSU output is 15 volts DC and secondly the DC Coax connector is an unusual size [6.3mm / 3.1mm]. So not the kind of PSU to have lying around spare in the bottom drawer.

11 is version 1.1

At the time of writing, the latest version is 1.6 [16] or 2.0 [20] - both the same. These latest versions completely transform the user experience of the Select controller and add the ability to write (not read) all CVs up to CV255. As well as access to the full F0 - F28 range of functions for sound locos such as TTS.

The upgrade charge is typically £15 plus VAT [£18] plus your sending postage costs. You need to get a 'returns number' from Hornby Customer Services - see 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of the page.

If you do arrange to get your Select firmware upgraded, then you will need both the Select version 1.5 full manual and the version 1.6 addendum manual. As the operation of your Select (how to use it) will be completely different in certain areas of operation compared to your current firmware version.

You can download these two manual PDFs from here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/12/

If nothing appears to happen, check your nominated browser download folder for the files as they can download silently in the background.