Alternative use for Black 5 sound chip

Guest Chrissaf

As I feel that I am not up to fitting this chip to a railroad Black 5 I fitted the chip to a GWR Hall (4901 Adderly Hall) but as I have a Hall Chip on pre-order can anyone suggest what might be the most suitable host for the TTS black five chip out of the following locos I already have.

1. LMS 4F

2. Midland Compound

3. SR School

4. S&DJR 7F (assuming I can get everything and an adaptor to fit in the tender)

5.or an XO3 powered Fowler 2-6-4T.

6 I have considered a 4-4-0 County but think the Hall chip would be better for these.

7. I have also considered an S&DJR 2P as the wheel sync with the one currently fitted is not great.

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Asked a similar question in the past and basically it needs research..  Cylinder configuration needs to be the same, the black 5 has 2 outer cylinders..  Wheel diameter needs to be the same or very similar so as to achive the speed synchronisation with the 'chuff' in the same place every revolution or at least near enough..Chimney, valve types also affect the sound and so finding U tube etc articles where you can hear the loco's will show if their running sounds are similar..  Depending how close you want the sound will govern fitting, if you are not too fussy and just want the loco to have a 'steam' sound then a wider tolerance can be applied....

I found that installing TTS in a loco with different size wheels was a good way to correct the chuff synch. I have Tornado in a GWR pannier tank which has smaller wheels and the chuff rate is almost exact at the speeds I run this loco at on the layout..