Decoder not working (R8249 in Eurostar)

96RAF

Hello could you help please, i recently purchased a eurostar train set, then after a while i upgraded to a dcc mixed traffic set. I bought the 8 pin decoder r8249 to install on the dcc ready eurostar, this has stopped the high pitched noise when its placed on the track but it isnt working and wont move. I have checked that the orange wire is in point one and have even turned it around to check if i had put it in the wrong way round. When i remove the chip and replace the blanking plate and place the unit back on the track the high pitched noise returns, so i have power to the train but not moving. Any ideas please thank you in advance. 

DJ

The buzzing noise you hear when the blanking plate is fitted is an indicator that a DC loco is standing on a DCC track. You should not allow this to happen as it will damage the motor.

With the decoder fitted you do not say how you are trying to run it . What controller are you using. Is the decoder still on default address 3 or have you re-addressed it to a number of your own choice - if so what is that number.

Armed with this information we should be able to get you running.

The mixed traffic set comes with a Select controller. Try a range of different addresses on the Select (worse case scenario start at 01 end at 59) and see if the Eurostar responds to any of those addresses. The 01 address may not have been assigned correctly.

With only the the loco to be programmed standing on a short piece of track connected to the Select Track output, long press the Select button and see LA on screen. Enter the address you want the loco to have within the range as Chris said 1 to 59, then short press Select again. This will allocate that address to that loco.

Now input that number again and short press Select, see the number on screen. The loco should respond to commands. If so repeat for other locos giving each a unique address, then reconnect the Select to your main track.