Mixed Freight Decoder Upgrade.

Potrail2378

Hi, I have an R1126 Mixed Freight set with a Jinty and a class 08. I have opened the 08 and it has a four pin decoder with orange, gray, red and black wires. Can I put an eight pin decoder in instead of the four pin? I'm pretty good at soldering so I don't mind cutting plugs off, etc. I would like to attempt to fit lights/lanterns to the 08. Thanks in advance

If you are really good at soldering, you can just connect your lighting wires to the blank pads on the 4-pin decoder. It is the same as the 8-pin except the white, yellow, blue, green and purple wires are missing but the solder pads for them are on the edge of the decoder circuit board.

With F0 enabled.

• The white wire PAD goes negative polarity only when the loco is controlled to go forward.
  • The yellow wire PAD goes negative polarity only when the loco is controlled to go in reverse.

The blue wire PAD is permanently positive at all times.

The LEDs go between the blue wire and the white or yellow wires as appropriate for direction via a current limiting resistor. I suggest a 1,000 ohm resistor at 1/8 watts, Each LED should have its own dedicated resistor. The positive side of the LED connects facing towards the blue positive wire.

The images on this page show the position of the blue and yellow decoder PADs and infers the position of the white PAD.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/hornby-dcc/decoders-chips

Note: Forum has a BUG at present that prevents making URL links clickable and also prevents any images being posted. So copy and paste the URL text above into your browser.

If you end up cutting off the 8 pin NEM652 connector off your wired decoder. Then rather than 'hard wire' soldering it to your loco. The 4 way socket that matches the 4 pin connector which I assume is already in the loco is an industry standard connector.

Search ebay for Dupont 2.54" then look for the 4 way female housing and terminals.

Below is a direct link to an example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DuPont-Single-Row-2-54mm-Connector-Housing-Female-Crimps-1-10-12-20-Pin/232414804730?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item361d007afa:g:kPUAAOSwnTxZbhpH&enc=AQAFAAACYBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkai8xCwosGKpC0NWj85e%2FBzW3hBoRNVyVaz1FeSXvE2I5RioBzJe3WwphilAC4oL6mri15R78XtpcjFUZt7MbMHgfhIXvT28Fw4zOujZaGRIh84hfIUoWC9EFCW0L6N8iFFuA%2Btmf4L7fPeGVUGVd7Cx1epFn0NagblDRuZ5Z%2BuDp%2B611SroX%2FZ0oncd88%2FsagRG9WmahvdhSWK0bnUmUkGx80AlyI0Dbjq07GLm%2B5MEPcUFmk9qyDhnfKEFfvRARqZOfeUZsYYqElTdtZV3FYPoqDJb6rsbUSCKvRi3X3V1zEypehH4aXaYu2ts3h8Zk5zl18X1X6gH2F9aqRJX4DYOoAvuslwxwu%2BwbLQqm1iZF93u6ICt9jE87FXVicK4%2B88qePkLdZiqrc5AlNO%2BTKvUoIGPKfJA0hlxD9nIX2Gsl7hdl5PMHpbM3JCcdmYotsuQ%2BjTq56zMdV5IehW9pnab30qJ8fmc8D%2F8RqPgLAEPQUSp9Kdi6dg%2Bot%2BUONsCKuJzY7WZgn2hOe9Gg9fbWrKKsGWwS32ndAKF3De4zNSNImvSPjFAnCbt04fph6YyoE5gdO8gFYTQd6umSECei2cB0NdkDCvGNoVVPCkmhFFpRIAtIRqXDfYZXRvmliifYc8CISqFAcwMyBL1l7BAfRsljyQrCGWiGaQdGGWZDz%2FPpWNzDchREiTmqX1tQg864%2ByQSz%2B3SnNYoenffsOnpTe0RrnWepTAsguqes7hDmo18ln5vtMAJJoLoH%2FwBVD4w&checksum=232414804730bb03818384fa4230afc45c0104282e09

Due to the forum BUG regarding making links clickable I haven't been able to truncate the URL. You will need to 'copy and paste' the whole URL text string into your browser.

Yes, Fishmanoz, I have soldered five wires onto the four pin decoder and have now got the forward and tail lights (white and yellow) wires, along with the blue wire sorted and marked out. I'm now asking for advice concerning the addition of lights on the class 08. I think they only have one white and one red at either end? Does the Jinty just have one light at the front? I have a couple of flickering led's that would be great for the firebox. Have you any ebay links for these loco's lights please? 

Generally steam locos would have a single red at the rear if running light else the red would be on the last wagon/coach.

The pattern and numbers of white lamps at the front denote the type of train, so variable unless the locois always on the same run, e.g. mainline express.

Google the Claas of loco for lights and select images. These usually provide the pattern you need for a particular loco.

Google Express Models or Kytes Lights for retro fit light kits.

We would normally provide live links but the forum facility is broken.