Old Class 43 HST conversion to DCC

Father Flump

I have 2 ancient Springfield motored HST power cars, which I'm considering converting to run with my new DCC setup. Whilst I'm up for a bit of snipping and soldering, I'm not an electronics expert and am frightened by tales of fried decoders etc. There are also the lights to consider.

The nearest decoder installation instructions I can find  are R2298A for a Virgin HST, but the motor and its wiring in those instructions, although similar, are not the same as mine.

Two questions - Is it worth the effort and cost?  If so, which sound decoder is the best to minimise the overload risk?

Any advice and guidance would be much appreciated.

(Note to moderator - I have abstracted and expanded this query from my earlier general query)

I have wired my Intercity HST to DCC.

Before I did, I changed the ringfield to a CD motor (it draws a lot less current and has less risk of anything going wrong). If your motors work fine then I don't recommend doing it.

Ringfields are harder to wire to DCC then many motors, due large sections of the motor casing being live, and easy to short-circuit.

You might also want to add extra pickups if you're using sound. Unless the wheels are splotless then it's going to stall frequently at low speeds.

I use the Hornby TTS Sound decoders, since they're at the cheaper end of the spectrum, not too much money is wasted compared to professional ones if they blow. 

If you're sure you won't get a short, then I would recommend sound decoders. If not, start with a cheap decoder and see how far it goes without shorting, and then change to sound potentially at a later date.

There are many tutorials online which show you how to hardwire ringfield motors to DCC, I would recommend adding a socket.

Many thanks STG! Although I have two power cars, I will only need one.One motor is noisy anyway so I may attempt a CD conversion on that, before considering decoders.

In connection with CD Motors, is it a good idea to buy a higher voltage one, say 9v, to avoid the need for diodes to calm it down? I've studied Sam's Trains video on CD conversion and he used a 3-4v one with diodes.