R296 - lights in cleaning coach

Potrail2378

Hi guys, I have modified my cleaning coach by putting a blinking red LED light at the rear, those strip {on a roll} LEDs in the ceiling, and pickups to get the current from the DCC track. All well and good... until it gets to a crossover or a set of points! I read something about a 'stay alive' cap on here somewhere. Would fitting a capacitor help? And what value cap should it be, if indeed, it is possible. Thanks in advance. 

Jane2's reply assumes that you have included a diode or bridge rectification circuit to convert the raw DCC track voltage to DC.

If you have not included any rectification and you are powering your LEDs directly from the DCC track voltage via resistors (highly recommended that you do not exclude the recitification from the circuit), then you cannot add a 'stay alive' capacitor. Stay Alive capacitors are typically Electrolytic capacitors which are polarity sensitive. Electrolytic capacitors will potentially swell up and burst if applied directly across raw unrectified DCC.

I would post a picture of the business end of a Hornby coach lighting bar to point out the various components Chris is speaking about, but can’t do that at present due to the forum trusted user bug.