Need advice

Bazmo

Hi I have obtained a Hornby tender that has a DCC connector (four pin small). I need a coupling for this. I understand it has a NEM coupling. I requires the pocket and the coupling. I have looked on the spares listings and it seems to have options. Cranked and strait, and it also mentions short. The question is which one do i need. New modellers show, 

Hornby Spares - NEM Coupling (weathered) - Pack of 1

Product Code: X9289W

Is this the one? thanks 

The 'Cranked' one is very unlikely to be the one you want. I believe (may be wrong) that the 'Cranked' one was introduced for a limited range of specific models. The X9289W [weathered version of the X9289] looks to be the correct one to source.

Just for info, the small 4 pin connector [socket on the tender and flying lead plug on the loco] is used to extend the loco wheel pickups [2 wires] and the locomotive located motor [2 wires] to a decoder, located in the Tender. The Tender socket is part number X9958 and the loco flying lead plug is X6113 [pre-terminated with wires].

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

It sounds like the plug and socket you are looking for is the now standard four pin plug (loco end) and socket (tender end) arrangement.

The plugs are universal (PN X6113 from memory) but the socket can be right angled facing doen or straight facing forward according to loco.

Which one you need will depend upon your loco model and R number. You can then look up the service sheet for it and determine the PN of the bits you require.