Very confused....help [R7277 DCC Corner layout]

Guest Chrissaf

Hi Gary

First of all welcome to the forum.

No need to panic - it can all be sorted, but in buying that layout as a first time layout, you have rather jumped in at the deep end - no critisism intended at all. You need to do a bit of reading so as to understand how to operate what you have bought - I am afraid it does not happen overnight.

In simple terms the reverse loop is where the rails, which have negative in one rail and positive in the other, due to the track configuration, a negative rail will be joined to a positive rail - resulting in a short. It can be overcome, but I need to study the layout, as it appears to have more than one "reverse loop".  There will be lots of answers coming soon, but as I said no need to panic, it's not the end of the world. BB

Focus on my reply at the bottom of Page 1 of the link provided by 5Dublo2 above. You may have bitten off more than you can chew with this R7277 track pack. It is not a good starting place for a novice.

Fortunately the 'Reverse Loop' issues are far more easier to resolve on a DCC layout [which you seem to be intending] than a DC Analogue one.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Hello everyone,

Im new to the hobby, and must admit feeling overwhelmed is an understatement. 

Ive just purchased L shaped track pack R7277. Now it looks exciting with many points to give interest.

Now, i thought all i had to do was build the track , buy a dcc controller and a train and off you go!!, but now im slowly finding out about all the wiring involved and i dont understand why?

Also somebody told me i will have problems with the layout ive bought because it has a return loop on it ?? And will short circuit?

I bought a genuine Hornby layout, so surely hornby wouldnt produce something that would have  issues?

Not to mention frogs and and other wierd names lol.

Can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere i can find what i need to learn.

Cheers

Gary

HI Gary - As far as I can see, if you isolate the two crossovers (R614) - one at the top of the layout and one on the left-hand side, you will be able to run trains all around the layout.  You should initially install insulated rail joiners (fishplates) - this will require some detailed explanation at a later stage. BB

Hi BB,

Thankyou for your reply, i will look at the plan points as mentioned by yourselves .

I felt if i went for this plan it would save changing as experience grew.

I will check youtube out on how to isolate the crossovers 🤐 it is going to be a DCC layout. 

Gary

Just insulating the two R614s in isolation will not be compliant with the accepted 'rule**' for reverse loop design and in my opinion will give operational issues. The advice given in my linked post to resolve the 'reverse loops' for this track plan under DCC is the most efficient solution and easiest (in my opinion) to implement.

Note** rule such as 'protected track section must be longer than the longest train'. The length of a R614 is too short.

Hi Chris - I realised there was a problem in having the "accepted" rule for reverse loops on this layout. I was hoping my solution - albeit a temporary one - would have at least got trains moving. Had it been my layout, I would have removed the offending points and crossovers until a proper solution could have been put in place. BB