Gaugemaster GM781 scenic sounds.

Roger1707821911

Hi All,

I have a Gaugemaster GM781 which plays railway sounds in a continuos loop.

It has worked just fine on my DC layout...now I am changing over to DCC, I am trying to understand

controlling it with my Hornby Select.

The GM781 handbook lists 8 sounds with default DCC addresses 81 to 88. where the individual sounds can be turned on or off.

Anyone know how I can access/alter these with the SelecT?

Regards  Roger

The documentation on the GM website says that this product is a joint development between GM and Train-Tech. Train-Tech products work with Hornby controllers as they are 'Self Learning' and do not need specific configuration features on the controller.

The GM manual (extract below) also states that the GM781 module is operated using 'Accessory Commands' and not 'Loco Commands'. This is fortunate because the product default addresses [81 to 88] are within the 60 to 99 address range used by the Select for Accessories.

/media/tinymce_upload/eb5575759ddfe9e68be6161206b55f94.jpg

Technically you could change the addresses used by this product, but only to addresses in the 60 to 99 range supported by the Select, so hardly worth bothering with. The addresses can be changed using Train-Techs 'Self Learning' technology. There is a 'Learn' button on the product to facilitate this. Full 'How To' details are written in the GM781 manual.

So (I see from your posting history that your 'Select' is currently loaded with version 2.0 firmware) read the Select 1.5 manual with regard 'sending an accessory command' and use the default 81 to 88 addresses to make a sound play. Treat the GM781 address as if it was controlling a point. Once the relevant sound address is selected, you switch this virtual point one way to turn the sound on and switch it the other way to turn the sound off.

For example:

Enter the sound address you want to play [a number between 81 and 88], then press the 'Select' button. Now use the left and right 'Arrow' buttons to turn the sound on and off.......simples!!

Repeat as necessary for the other sounds in the 81 to 88 address range.

For DCC operation the previous DC supply needs to be disconnected and the GM781 powered by your DCC track feed instead.

The GM781 manual made perfect sense to me and seems simple enough to use this product on DCC.

Just in case you have lost or mislaid the manual, an online copy is available here:

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/media/downloads/GM781_V3.pdf