TTS decoder for Class 121

JsionyRN

It is an 8 pin DCC ready loco according to Hattons website, so any 8 pin DCC decoder. The Hornby R8249 will be ok, but really you can pick anyone you want. It is a DCC Hornby product so I expect their decoder to work. I don't know how much space there is inside, so that might be a deciding factor but the Hornby one is small and cheap. I have the equivalent Dapol to which I fitted sound, so there was enough room in that one, I suspect the Hornby is the same.

@RAF96 thanks for that. With the Zimo and probably the LokSound you probably get all those noises, I know with mine you do, but I suspect if it were implemented in a TTS you would just get the basic engine noise as there isn't the memory. I know with my TTS class 47 and LokSound class 47 (the loco had it in it when I bought it), the overall effect is totally different between the two.  

From the little knowledge I have I suspect to build the sound file you would have an idle, then a rising rev range to gear change point, a blip in the revs with a crunch of gears, then repeat the revs bit and gear change for as many gears as available.

I would also suspect the awkward bit would be arranging the correct sounds coming down the speed range, as I don’t know if a DMU changes down the gears or just slows and picks the correct gear to take up slack at that speed. In fact I don’t even know if they were auto, pre-selector or manual gearboxes. That’s a question for DMU buffs.

I just tried my class 121, it sounds like a really rough diesel engine. It sort of beats. The Zimo doesn't do the gear changes, not that I could hear. It does sound a bit like a really rough class 37, but not once it gets going. it is nothing like it. It is completely different to a class 47.