Can the 'Can'

Potrail2378

OK, so I've decided to upgrade both of my Hornby HST power cars to these 'can' motor things. The guy who is selling them reckons they are six volt units, and prototypically won't be able to run very well unless I change CVs 5 and 6. He reckons the

"Hornby R8249 decoder is probably the least suitable decoder for these kits. Because they don't have CV5/CV6"

Do Hornby sell an up-to-date version of their decoder which could resolve the issue? Thanks in advance. 

No

The older HornbyR8245 Sapphire decoder can do this but it is out of production and hard to find in the shops.

You will have to look at Zimo or Lenz, etc specs for a suitable item.

By can motors I assume you mean ex-DVD motors, which are round and fit in place of the ringfield notor internals. These can be sourced in all voltages from 3, 6, 9, 12 or even 24 if you wade through Chinese listings. Several UK sources are available as conversion kits such as ...

https://www.strathpefferjunction.com/product-category/ringfield-motor-conversion-kits/

DVD motors come in different widths for the 25 mm diameter we need for ringfield use.

The standard 12 mm version only fits Bo-Bo diesel and some tender drives as it fouls any centre axle.

The slimmer 9.5 mm version fits those chassis with an intruding centre axle as well as Co-Co diesel, but tends to be of lower voltage only.