New to DCC

The RM PC software is no use to you without a suitable Hormby controller to operate it via. Either an Elite or an eLink.

Be aware that the RM licence is not transfereable between users so if buying S/H and it has been activated by the previous owner it is worthless.

If you have a suitable controller then the simplest thing to do is download the latest version from the link at the top of the page, then buy the licence from within the software. S/H eLinks can be picked up for little money but check that they are working as they can fail in service.

You haven't stated the source of your proposed RailMaster CD/DVD ROM. Just to re-iterate what Rob wrote. Be very clear, if the activation key on this CD/DVD ROM has been used by someone else and activated by them, then any attempt by you to activate again using the same key will fail. The validity of the key is extremely robustly policed and enforced by the software developers, there is no 'workaround' to get over this issue. The likelihood that any copy you have found is still brand new and in its sealed wrapper is rather dubious to say the least as new sealed wrapped copies of the RailMaster CD/DVD ROM have been like 'hens teeth' for some considerable time.

However, that said.

I find that whenever I am contemplating a new purchase, particularly software [not necessarily rail related] I search out the online PDF manuals to read. I find reading the manuals, gives me a good grounding in a products / software capability.

A RailMaster manual PDF can be downloaded from here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/railmaster-manuals

Further RailMaster information can be viewed and read here:

https://www.hornby.com/media/brands/railmaster.pdf

Plus additionally, you can download a copy of the software from here [link below] and install in 'Evaluation Mode'. If you choose the 'No controller' option as part of the installation, any controller missing error messages will be suppressed. You can then browse the software to see what it looks and feels like. If you install the software, then the installer will also install the very latest set of manuals as well on your Desktop to read.

http://www.rail-master.com/rm_setup.exe

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Just being pedantic [mentioned for clarity of info for future readers]. If you purchase the activation key from within the RailMaster evaluation software, you are not purchasing it directly from Hornby, you are purchasing it from HRMS who are the RailMaster software developers.

Hornby are not selling RailMaster activation keys in the form of R8144 CD/DVDs anymore.

The next step then as previously advised is to download the demo from the link and have a play with it to see how you get on with it and if its going to suit your purpose.

Annoyingly the demo times out after 90 days and then you can’t do anything except purchase the licence or bin it.

Apologies is any of the above responses appear condescending but we have no idea of anyone’s skill level when they ask a question, hence we present the standard set of prying statements/advice based on the wider forum experience with many, many similar questions.

....I just don't know wether to get the Elite or the eLink controller....

Personally, I would pay the extra and get the Elite ... the reasons being.

• The Elite will still function standalone ... useful if you have any temporary RailMaster / PC hardware / software issues.
  • You can use the Elite standalone if you just want to perform a quick test of something without having to fire up the PC and RailMaster software.
  • Being able to use the Elite controller buttons and knobs makes life so much easier when configuring 'self learning' decoders.
  • The eLink does not support the 'Operate', 'REG' andf 'Paged' programming modes. The Elite does. These alternative programming modes can be be a useful 'workaround' when the RailMaster 'Direct Mode' programming mode has problems with 'reading and writing' CVs to some non Hornby decoders.
  • Although it is prudent not to use this feature as it can allow functions to get out of sync. The Elite speed control knobs can operate concurrently with the RM Software throttles. Such that rotating the Elite controller knob witll move the appropriate RM throttle sliders in synchronisation. The RM .INI file needs this line included to facilitate this feature "Elite feedback=1". Again for this feature to work, the appropriate loco DCC addresses need to be assigned to the Elite controller knobs in the normal way first.