Hornby Carriages derailing 'Back to Back' measurement incorrect.

Guest Chrissaf

Does anyone know the best way to remedy the undersized back to back measurement on my Royal Mail trainset the wheels and axles appear to be as one in molded plastic. I have managed to adjust the loco axle spacing, metal wheels, and plastic axle, but the carriage wheels are plastic and cannot be adjusted, without cutting or damaging.

Whilst you wait for a reply, perhaps you would spend a few minutes reviewing the TIPs in the TIP page link below:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

It looks like my original post got lost. On my Triang Royal Mail van, I pulled the axles out (be careful, the plastic might be brittle). I then replaced the plastic wheels with new Hornby ones. They are a bit of a tight fit but they will fit the orginal axles. Put it back together and set the spacing. You will also find the carriage runs an awful lot better. On EBay they are people doing other makes of wheels, they might be a cheaper option.

I made a slalom for testing coaches and wagons through curves.

It was a couple of lengths of flex track with various radius S curves in the middle and the top end propped up on a box. Rolling stock was sent off down the ramp to see how it coped with the curves. Usually B2B was out if a coach or wagon fell off the rails.

Unfortunately with old Triang rolling stock it appears to be the points that are the biggest issue. In my case I use Peco electrofrog points, so generally the coach derails or in the case of locos the actual point takes a hammering. I have a a couple of double slips and these get hit with such force it can even can change them, meaning if the coach didn't derail first time round, the loco certainly will the next time. These things are quite frail so the less stress you put them under, the better. As I said in my first post if they are the push in wheels, then quite an easy fix, the only issue being that Hornby don't sell replacement wheels in packs of 8, but I did find someone on the web that did.