Track lengths

Johnny Wizz

Hi,

I am new here and just finding my way around. I have had a couple of Hornby train sets for over five years but never taken them out of the box. Now, we’ll into retirement I finally have the time and space to build the model railway at last. I have around 8ft by 4ft which I think is a reasonable size and have a few ideas about a layout. I am now into the planning stage. I would appreciate any advice that anyone can give but have one specific question. Is there anywhere that the actual dimensions of track pieces can be found. I have found the radius information  for curves but I can’t seem to find the lengths of straight tracks and points. Even the Hornby catalogue doesn’t give this information (unless I am being particularly dim which is quite possible). Also are there any really good track plan books or software that might help me get a sound start to my track plan and layout?

If you buy flexitrack it is either 1 metre or 1 yard long (used to be a yard, but I think it is now metric). You just cut it to length, most economic way to do it. Use a steel rule for straight sections and you can buy formers for curves or you can just bend it yourself. If you use Peco streamline track I have found the distance between dual tracks is the width of an old engineering steel rule, a lot easier that the plastic tool.

If you go to the Hornby Shop and find the product page for each track piece you are researching. The dimensions are stated on each individual product page.

For example here is an extract of the 'R603 Long Straight' Product Page.

/media/tinymce_upload/f9b3ebd00ae0f8732596c35d0b77c5e0.jpg

The full Hornby track geometry details can be viewed here: This page is interactive. Clicking on a track piece [ X ] takes you directly to the shop page for that track piece. Where you will find the information reproduced below:

R600 [standard length straight track] = 168mm

R601 [double length straight track] = 335mm

R603 [long straight] = 670mm

R610 [short straight] = 38mm

The 168mm standard length is also used for the R618 isolating straight and on the straight sections of the R8072 & R8073 points & level crossing. The 168mm also features on one side of the R614 / R615 diamond cross-overs. The straight parts of the Hornby R8077 & R8078 Express points are 245mm.

All Hornby track geometry is designed for 67mm track centre to track centre.

Note that other track brands may or may not adopt the same lengths for their track pieces. Also other track brands such as the 'PECO Streamline' mentioned by Colin above do not adopt the 67mm spacing either. Streamline is a nominal 50mm and is too close to provide compatibility with standard Hornby curves.

As someone starting out who has bought 'sets'. Then my downloadable 'Getting Started' PDF might be an interesting read for you. You can download my PDF from the 2nd sticky post down at the very top of the 'General Discussion' forum.

In any layout you plan, I highly recommend that you avoid using Hornby Radius 1 curves [most new Hornby long wheelbase rolling stock states minimum Radius 2]. I would also advise that you ignore any thoughts of including a gradient in your layout plan. Modern locomotives are too light and under-powered for gradients included in relatively small domestic layouts such as those that will fit on an 8 x 4 board or smaller. Track plan books that include gradients and Radius 1 curves on these small board foot-prints are based upon old designs, where the rolling stock of that time period era were more compatible.

Also are there any really good track plan books or software that might help me get a sound start to my track plan and layout?

Look at SCARM and AnyRail, both offer free try before you buy evaluation versions. I use SCARM and rate it highly, but others rate AnyRail equally highly too. The FREE versions have layout size limitations.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

I'd have a look at some of these track plan websites that chrissaf has suggested, and others. As they not only give you a few ideas, but also tend to have a "shopping list" of what in the way of track you'll need [they'll list Hornby, Bachmann and Peco part numbers]. For instance one website had an 8 foot by 4 foot [as that's what you appear to be thinking of] layout based on Gothland [Aidensfield/Hogsmead from Heartbeat and Harry Potter], which in turn as I've mentioned listed what you'd need trackwise.......... If you go down that road of a "heritage line,"  that'll let you run what ever you like in the way of "trains".