00 Cross-over [when DCC operated]

Guest Chrissaf

Depending upon which make and model of point motors you use and how ‘free’ your point installations are, service experience has shown that you can usually fire a pair of points from an R8247 the method is not totally reliable and for warranty reasons Hornby will not endorse the method. It helps if the feeder wires to each pair of motors are the same length, else you can find only one throws - electricity like water takes the easiest path.

The quaranteed way to throw a pair of points is to wire a hefty CDU into the circuit and have the R8247 fire into the coil of a pair of relays that pass the CDU charge through the main relay contacts to the solenoids.

If you have spare ports available on your R8247 You can alternatively give two different R8247s the same DCC addresses. For example, using DCC addresses 9 to 12:

R8247 [ A ] port DCC addresses 9 to 12

R8247 [ B ] port DCC addresses 9 to 12

You then wire your point pairs such:

Point pair 1A to R8247 A port 9

Point pair 1B to R8247 B port 9

Point pair 2A to R8247 A port 10

Point pair 2B to R8247 B port 10

Point pair 3A to R8247 A port 11

Point pair 3B to R8247 B port 11

So when you then send a DCC command from the controller to throw the point on DCC Address 10 for example, then both the R8247 A and B will respond and thus Point Pair 2A & 2B will operate.

I understand that we can wire up 2 points together using an R044 Switch, but can I do the same with my decoder R8247? as I have 3 pairs of points that should be worked together. Many thanks

At the moment I have my single garage sized layout with 21 point motors (some paired) operating under DCC control from 4 x R8247s. First functional checks give me 75% working as wired and some problems with the others, mostly the paired ones. More crawling under the bench with a multimeter.

My ultimate plan is to integrate the DCC operated points with my old manual switching panel by way of a plug in module mounting a CDU and relays, and although that interface has been designed it not  built yet. Introduction of a CDU into the mix will ensure all paired motors fire reliably, as they did using the same DCC-DC system in principle on my old layout.