Castle Class

paul_huggett

Hi

I have a Hornby DCC Castle Class 4 pin chip that when I placed on the track for the first time in about 5 years after being stored started smoking. I opened the loco up and the DCC Chip was hot to touch and seemed to glow when I placed back onto the track and then one of the wires detatched.

The last time I used the loco was on a dcc layout using Hornby E-Link but due to a few issues with railmaster which is making me think of going elsewhere for power controller (another story), I am having to use a dc controller. 

Any help would be great because I have not been in the hobby for 5+ years

cheers

Paul

What was the R number of the decoder. I only ask as I have an "early" DCC Ready Castle Class loco and it has an eight-pin socket in it. I was under the apprehension that the 4-pin decoder (R7274) was a fairly recent addition to the Hornby range - for example for the Peckett 0-4-0.

You aren't using an old DC controller by chance? Some of these especially the old H & M ones, don't smooth the DC supply like the new ones do, so you get peaks of voltage, this tends to kill DCC decoders, not always immediately, but eventually. The same happened to me using my old H & M DC supply. If you are using one of the new Hornby PWM DC supplies, then these are usually ok to use with DCC.

Welcome to the forum Paul

Is the loco not supposed to have an 8-pin decoder?

I have had the engine for nearly 10 years now. It came from the set where you got a DCC Select controller, Castle class, 3 pullman coaches, GWR pannier tank and some wagons. 

Where can I find the decoders R number?