New Controller - Advice needed

Guest Chrissaf

Hi all, 

I'm hoping one of you experts and enthusiasts can help - I have a Hornby train set from the late 80s. Its mostly just generic track (with a lot of stations and four trains - mostly Thomas the Tank Engine as that's what younger me was into then!) 

It's been a good couple of decades since it was used and I'd like to share it with my own children now. The trouble is is doesn't work - and I suspect the controller is the issue. 

As it's an old one, could someone please advise me a modern one that would work in its place? I've attached an image below. 

I realise this may be a very stupid and amateurish question to ask, so apologies if so - but an ama9i definitely am! 

/media/tinymce_upload/3371e86930e2ef257ac748ed3651d8f8.JPG

Personally, to obtain the nearest equivalent with the highest probability of it working with what you already have I would look to the second-hand market for a Hornby R965 controller with its associated power pack.

Examples on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=Hornby+R965&_sacat=0

The current modern Hornby equivalents are the R8250 and the R7229 [P9000 power pack for the R7229 is extra] controllers, but to be frank, these two controllers are not very good for older rolling stock and only really suit modern low power locomotives.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

You might just as well get one of the controllers split from sets, I think Hattons sell them. They are pulse width modulated based which means your locos might buzz a bit at low speed but they are perfectly alright. I use one from a Pendulino set for testing my locos before I convert them to DCC. It might even be worth buying a cheap set, it quite often it works out you get the controller and track for free as the set is usually cheaper than the loco and carriages sold separately.

Although your R912 unit is a very basic controller, it may not be working purely because the wires have been partially pulled out of the mains plug, which, incidentally does not meet current standards because the positive and negative pins are not sheathed at their inner ends to prevent inadvertently being touched while live. 

If the controller worked a couple of decades ago, it is quite likely that it will still work now.

As Going Spare has said the mains plug needs refitting because the blue and brown wires should not be visible outside the plug.  The outer sheath should be clamped inside the plug.  You probably need to get someone who is electrically competent to rewire it for you.

After that, check the output voltage where the wires are attached to the track connector.  The sticker on your controller suggests that the voltage should be about 14 volts DC.

If your Loco's have not been used for that length of time, they will require checking and probably servicing.  The easiest to do this is described in the thread at the top of the general section of this Forum called 'FAQ - Beginner question - my loco/set is not working'.  It is also likely that your track needs cleaning, again this is covered on the Forum.

Let us know how you get on.