Hornby R3805

Guest Chrissaf

hi, i recently got a hornby r3805 black 5 from the 1to1 ltd edition ,ibought asound decoder to have it fitted by a model shop,but they say that the speker fits into the housing but the plate over the top wont fit over the speaker ,has any body else had this problem 

There are several tender locos where the standard TTS speaker and encloure doesn’t really fit. You have to adopt a generous measure of modelling skills to get them in there. A simple fix is to leave the enclosure out and seal around the speaker for decent accoustics.

I can’t remember which loco this is but it demonstrates the general problem. The weight had to be cut to allow the speaker wires to pass. To seal it I glued a bit of card over the square hole and sealed the sides with tape. Not ideal but adequate.

/media/tinymce_upload/44442de595c15331f3ee1fe28934624c.JPG

Sadly most of Hornby's speaker fitment plates don't work that well. When I complain on this site, I get a barrage of people telling me they do. Your model shop obviously doesn't want to stress the fitting which is what you normally do with the standard fitment, it sounds like you have found a "good guy". What I do is forget the standard Hornby speaker and buy yourself a small iphone speaker off EBay, not only do they fit better as they are thinner, but the sound is a sustantial improvement, they are also easier to insulate. For the cost of less than £5=00 plus p & p they are a worthwhile investment.

@RAF96 that is a Duchess/ Princess Elizabeth tender speaker fitting, that is one of the few where the original speaker fits. Suprisingly the iphone small speaker fits horizontally in the same fitting. It is one of the few tenders where if it didn't fit you would be in big trouble, as because of the sloping coal bunker there is very little room in the tender to fit the actual sound decoder unit.

As Colin says you can slot a cube speaker into the hole in the weight which means you don’t even need to disturb it. Some weights have a square hole, some have a combined round and rectangular hole.

There is another problem on the odd tender in that the standard speaker can short across the wheels. The 4 x square pegs in the photo should lift the speaker clear but if not fitted exactly the speaker rim can touch the wheel flanges. This is easily remedied by use of an O ring or similar gasket to lift the speaker clear and provide positive insulation.

/media/tinymce_upload/008dd556ec26d11791b400f35abccd0a.jpg