Smoke generator

PeterWW

Having rebuilt my set from my childhood and still using a few of the trains I had back then (late 70s early 80s). To add to the set, I have recently purchaed an LNER Cheshire, 4-4-0 which has a smoke unit, great fun and adds brilliantly to the set, i was wondering if there are smoke generators that can be retro-fitted, I have a J83 (LNER 8477), Flying Scotsman, Cock o North i woudl like to add smoke to if possible.

I have seen the Suethe and wanted to know if Hornby still made them or whether seuthe woudl be suitable and fit.

Many thanks

Peter

Hornby do not make factory fitted 'smoke' locos any more. There are potential issues to at least be aware of so that remedial actions can be taken. For example, the plastics used in modern loco bodies are a lot softer than of old and excessive use of 'smoke generators' have been known to melt the body chimneys.

Seuthe are an after market manufacturer of 'smoke generators', and were never directly manufactured by Hornby as your question wording implies.

Seuthe can be made to fit many models, but modelling and electrical skills will most likely be required. If the intention is to fit these to DCC models, then note this. The Hornby function outputs are limited to a maximum of 100mA, not really enough current for most Seuthe units. Therefore it is recommended that you do not try and fit a Seuthe to a Hornby TTS steam loco for example unless you really know what you are doing.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

I would be very careful with your Cheshire smoke generator, I had them fitted to two locos of that era both 4-4-0 (Hornby seem to fit it to those). When I did a study of their bodies I noticed that they are warped ever so slightly. Needless to say I have now removed them. I did put them in my old Ringfield based Duchess locos, where they are mounted on a metal chassis (where it can dissapate the heat) and under DCC control, so it is a bit easier to control when they are on or off.

@RAF96 That looks really good, thank you for sharing. The only thing that would worry me is you still have the same issue, loco bodies getting hot and distorting. I have found even steam can distort a body. On the Duchess ones I modified, I did coat the inside under the chimney with tin foil to hopefully spred the heat.

I saw a more realistic ‘smoke’ generator on FB recently in developement by TRS trains. The device which is demonstrated in a Britt, but not described in detail, uses water for smoke and forcibly chuffs it out.

Likely when more developed it will be marketed as a commercial product.

Hopefully this link works for those of you with FB access...

https://www.facebook.com/trs.trains/videos/365630198103337/

Link amended to a netter video.

I too bought locos fitted with the clear plastic smoke generators in the 1980s, the GWR 28XX 2-8-0 and the 38XX 4-4-0 County. Sadly I found them rather messy and the oil left greasy marks on the body so I eventually took them all out.