Railmaster updating

There are two types of updating that can happen automatically.

Updating type 1.

When RailMaster starts it will perform a check to confirm that the Internet is present. Subject to speed of the Internet and performance of the PC. If, as RailMaster loads, you focus your attention on the strip just below the top navigation bar then sometimes [not always] you may see a text message flash across the screen saying something like 'updating database files' or similar. I personally, have seen this message a few times, but you have to be quick as it only stays visible, if at all, for about 50 to 100ms.

What this message signifies, is that HRMS have updated the loco database with new loco model releases. The update obviously only occurs if there is indeed a new database file to update. Hence why most of the time you will not see this message flash across the top of the screen.

Updating type 2.

As well as checking for an updated 'loco database' file. RailMaster during startup will check to see if there is a new version of the RailMaster application itself. If a new version is found, then a dialogue box will open asking if you want to install it, or carry on. If you choose not to install the application update, it will ask you again the next time you start RailMaster and keep on asking you until you either install it OR disconnect your Internet connection from the PC before running RailMaster.

But be aware, that not ALL RailMaster update versions will trigger this 'do you want to update' dialogue box. Only major application updates will trigger this update offer. A major update is typically an update that includes new features and functionality.

Most updates are minor ones that just include 'Bug Fixes' or very minimal changes.

A minor update does not trigger this auto-update dialogue box and has to be installed manually by the 'user'. This is why I manually check each and every day for any 'minor' updates that might be available and 'post' their availability in this RailMaster forum. It is also why the current RailMaster version status is shown on the RailMaster download link at the top of the RailMaster forum index page.

In both cases above.

The above will not happen if your 'Internet' icon in the top right of the RailMaster screen is not Green and is Greyed out. If the 'Internet' icon is Greyed out, then all updates will need to be performed manually by downloading and running the latest RailMaster installer file from the forum download link. The RailMaster application installer will also include the latest 'loco database' file as well.

Note that you run the downloaded installer file by right clicking it and choosing 'Run as administrator'. You also run the installer over the top of the existing installation. You do not uninstall the existing RailMaster version first.

Addendum to above:

Based upon historical observations. A major RailMaster update seems to coincide with either just prior to or just post Christmas week. So on that basis, an update is possibly due in the near future.

Thanks for that reply Chrissaf. That clarifies my situation. I do not have a reliable internet connection in my train shed and have to, now and again take pc and elite up to my house to obtain a good internet connection.

I believe as I write my railmaster is not up to date as R3622 J-36 Class does not appear in the loco list.

Thanks again.

R3622 is shown as a 'Pre-Order' on the Hornby shop product page. However, there is some evidence to suggest that the TTS version of the J36 is released. But I would expect that the TTS version to have a different stock code number.

/media/tinymce_upload/b7a2efc49d24e4e3f8984b763863b3e0.jpg

It won't appear in the RM loco list until sometime after it has been fully launched and released. HRMS (not part of Hornby) have to be given the loan of a physical official release product before they can add it to the RM database. HRMS need a physical product because they have a special track that they use to profile how the loco responds to controls for configuring the 'scale speed' settings. It has not been unknown for a loco to take several months after official launch to appear in the loco database list.

As I have said in threads 'umpteen million times'. It is not necessary to have a loco in the RailMaster loco list before it can be added to the RailMaster loco roster. Any loco can be added manually without the database.

This previous thread I responded to earlier today gives instructions on 'How to manually add a loco'. It is written for a sound loco, but if just using a normal non sound decoder just step over the sound steps in the tutorial.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/missing-details-for-hogwarts-castle-r3803tts/?p=1

The image below can be used in the tutorial instructions for your R3622 loco. See the linked page above with regard how to use the image below.

/media/tinymce_upload/60e9926e9f0461876b77452a47cd7529.jpg

Thanks for all the gen Chrissaf. I purchased J36 Class 'Haig' Early BR No. 65311 on stock number R3622-48-355 DCC ready in early October.

I am currently in the process of arranging exchange of the TTS Decoder which I found to be faulty. It cooked. Probably due to the bare wires attached to it which I found on very close examination of it. I have macro photos. The fit to the loco is very tight (speaker is fractionally too deep) but achievable but bare wires are obviously vunerable.

There is a delay on exchange due to 'Covid' I am informed.