Problems with TTS J36 sound decoders

richmarsh

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you absolutely right. I don't know if you know, but I used to write software to reprogram the electronic modules in a vehicle. So if a particular module has a software issue the Dealer can fix it by updating the software. I quite often had to fly over to Germany to fix some reprogramming issue on a Customers car, my friend still does it (I retired). When my Fleishmann was doing its update I have never been so worried as I said to friend where I used to work, it is different when it is something you paid for. Fortunately, it worked ok, it even writes on the screen what it is doing and the progress, so I assume your System will be the same. If your system is based on the Fleishmann it probably uses similar software. As with my systems there are usually "failsafes" to stop you being left with a brick as we used to call it. Generally, if it fails it should start again. The most difficult part for me was getting the PC to recognise the lead and assign the right port number. 

The process of updating device firmware by download is pretty much universal these days.  That doesn't mean particular instances will work, it depends on getting the particular implementations right including the update code.

But for this discussion, Colin has confirmed it worked in his kit and, we know Elite upgrades have worked reliably for years up to the latest version.  The only qualification for the Elite is the need to be anal about following process.  This has been explained a number of times on the forum and led to success.

I'm amazed. My post above was held for moderation having breached the profanity filter in the 2nd last line.  And it has actually emerged intact. I never expected this so I had posted again.   You'll find it in correct time order on the previous page. 

• 3 weeks later...