Can you change the volume on a TTS digital decoder?

Guest Chrissaf

Yes,

In order to provide you with detailed 'step by step' guidance, one would need to know which TTS decoder as volume control is different for some 'steam vs diesel' versions. Plus what firmware version your Elite is? Both of these bits of info you haven't provided details of.

But in principle, CV178 or CV182 is typically the master volume for Steam. Which one, CV178 or CV182 depends upon which actual TTS decoder you have. Early Steam TTS were CV178 and later Steam TTS changed to CV182.

Diesel are AFAIK all CV182.

The volume value range is 0 - 8 and I believe the factory default is 4. Zero off and 8 max.

The above are the 'master volume' CVs. The data-sheet for your specific TTS decoder will list all the individual sound volume CVs and the methodology for setting them up. So read the manual for this information.

The extract below is just purely an example to show you what to look for in the TTS data-sheet manual and if I have picked your specific TTS decoder then that is pure coincidence.

/media/tinymce_upload/5f61609e5573e2b97c11856149e6ee55.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/8cfeb92ad6f809e53865e24c747fe78d.jpg

Read the Elite manual with regard how to change CV values. If I assume your Elite has version 1.4x firmware, then read pages 36 / 37 [extract below].

/media/tinymce_upload/e6e9e0e287ea6b6e6dad4547ff421845.jpg

TIP: As a relatively new poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Particularly as my reply includes an image, using the 'Blue Button' may result in your reply being held back for image approval, even though it is an existing image.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Changing individual sound volumes is also possible on the main in Operation programming mode.

Once you have a suitable master volume then you can fine tune any individual sounds that need tweaking using their individual CVs. All explained in the TTS leaflet of course.