What am I doing wrong

p.cassnew

Newbie, first time train set with Hornby Select, I've programmed the Select in accordance with the instructions, I have the Mixed freight train set, the first train works on one track, when I put the second one on the other track and programme it, the first one also goes round, what have I done wrong ? I have put link wires on the track, do I really need them?

Firstly you must only have one loco on the track when you are trying to programme it. If you have both locos on the track at the same time, then the programming commands will be seen by both locos.

This would also affect any Accessory Decoders that you might possibly have in use as well. So it is always far much better to have a completely separate and physically isolated piece of track that you dedicate for loco programming activities. Thus you are then forced to completely disconnect the main layout track from the Select in order to temporarily connect the Select to your separate programming track piece. This methodology completely eliminates the risk of inadvertantly programming more than one decoder at a time.

I have put link wires on the track, do I really need them?

If these link wires are Hornby R8201. Then these are not compatible with DCC. They are DC Analogue connectors and contain capacitors that will distort your DCC track signal and cause operational issues.

On a small DCC layout, you install Hornby R8232 DCC point Clips to the points instead of using 'Link Wires'. It is all explanied in the document described below.

Please have a read of my 'Getting Started' PDF document. This document will help you, and answer questions you have not yet asked. Focus on Chapter 6. The document is downloadable from the 2nd sticky thread down at the top of the Hornby Forum General Discussion forum index.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

You program each loco decoder to give it a unique address with the Select. You do not program the Select.

For DCC the whole track must be live or the locos cannot detect the DCC signal sent from the controler to their unique address.