Not able to set DCC decoder to extended for address

Buddy815

Hi, 

After years of putting my layout on hold due to a move, I am finally starting on my new layout and I have Hornby DCC decoders and an Elite from 2008 timeframe. I upgraded a couple of my locomotives at the time, LMS Black 5 R2561 and the lovely set, "The Royal Scot" with DCC decoders from back then. I have tried to change the Black 5 from a address I assigned at the time of 11 to 5036 to match the running number of the locomotive, I have been able to change it to another value, 36 but when I try to set the decoder to extended and then set it to 5036, it does nothing. I did try and reset the CV values for 17 and 18 and it does not seem to save them neither. I have upgraded my Elite to the latest firmware, is there anything else I am missing? From memory, was there some early Hornby DCC decoders that may not be NMRA compliant? I have a good few of these decoders that I brought at the time, for other locomotives that I have to get them installed. Is there anyone that can shed light on this one?

The old R8215 decoders don't accept long addresses. There are one or two other faults with them too, such as not being readable. Years ago, Hornby would exchange faulty R8215 decoders for the newer R8249 decoders if you contacted them but I don't know if they would still do that.

The Elite automatically sets the values for CV17 & CV18 when writing a long address. Trying to write these CVs manually usualy causes operational issues.

Assuming the decoder is long address capable....

With loco on Programming track and Elite feeding that track from PROG terminals click Menu button - then click speed knob for Loco - then Direct - then Address - then Write - Enter long address - click speed knob again.

Hi RAF96,

I did that and it did not work but what Rog makes sense as I felt I did all I could and if that indeed they were swapped, I will have to count what I have and see if Hornby will do something for me, a long shot but hey if one does not ask...

Thanks for the replies, I do appreciate it.