Installing RailMaster / eLink for the first time and having problems.

Guest Chrissaf

I tried to install the E link last night. Loaded the RM disc no problem connected the E link controller OK. Went to activate it and it kept coming up with an error message. On the 10th attempt it went through but the screen instead of being a pink colour went grey and the icons instead of black were white and it would not connect to the controller. I followed all the instructions uninstalled the E link driver Etc. Etc. but nothing doing, in the end it came up with error 43 contact supplier. I contacted the number on the disc this morning, hornby customer services but all they could suggest was to uninstall it and try again. But I asked him would the activation number work again if I did that, but he didn't know and told me to contact Rail master support and ask them to reset the key number. I have sent them an email but looking at the comments on the forum this could take a long time . Do you have any advice please.

What a pickle you seem to have got yourself into Peter.

It is best not to use the CD it is far better to use the downloaded installer from the link at the top of the Hornby RailMaster forum ... see image below for link location.

Also, when installing the 'drivers'. The 'drivers' on the CD are historical and only for Windows XP and Vista. The CD drivers are not used on Windows 7, 8 or 10

/media/tinymce_upload/3d678918ac290b4204515a85dd6bb139.jpg

These forum resources may possibly help.

Installing Windows 7 to 10 eLink / Elite drivers is typically [but not always] a two stage process. Some users fail to complete stage 2 when it is required. The links below explain the full installation process.

Installing eLink with RM for the 1st time issues.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/installing-elink-with-rm-for-the-1st-time-issues/?p=1/#post-313903

Installing Windows 10 Drivers.

eLink

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/unable-to-install-elink-driver-on-new-windows-10-laptop-please-help/?p=7/#post-263375

RailMaster Help Site:

https://octaviancs.com/railmaster/rm.php

When the page above opens, look to the navigation tabs highlighted in the green box.

/media/tinymce_upload/2930e22efcac0b75eeea7400f1941fa7.jpg

When reading the various site pages. If you see any icon like the one below. These are clickable and will open an image usually containing screen shots of what the text is describing.

/media/tinymce_upload/db95d61a8fab4e483628a77c69c3b723.jpg

If you did by any chance successfully activate the RM Key and then went and uninstalled RM without deactivating the key first then you may very well be up the proverbial creek without a paddle. But follow the guidance above first before trying to cross that creek bridge.

As well as not using the drivers on the CD for Windows 7, 8 and 10. You must also 'right click' the installer and choose 'Run as administrator'. Plus ANY pop messages that refer to security, you must choose the 'allow' option.

With regard the strange screen colours and screen image rendering you are reporting. This is possibly a bad interaction between RailMaster and your PC graphic card and/or graphic drivers. They might be old and outdated if they haven't been updated. I have a vague recollection of a post in the long distant past relating to screen rendering. The fix, if I recall correctly, was to choose a different colour theme from within RailMaster. See Page 30 & 31 of the RailMaster manual on themes. The selection is made on the 'Loco Detection' tab within the 'System Settings' screen.

There are a couple more clues in your original question text.

Your text infers that you installed the RailMaster software first, then connected the eLink controller [presumably to then install the driver for it].

The RailMaster installation and set up is less problematic if you connect the eLink and install the driver first, then install the RailMaster software with the eLink still connected and powered up. This way the RailMaster installer knows what controller to configure the software for.

You may have an incorrect 'railmaster.ini' file as a result.

To fix this:

Open the 'railmaster.INI' file using the RailMaster .INI file editor [bluish COG icon in the bottom left corner of the RailMaster 'Help Screen']. If the file has less than 10 lines in it, then it needs to be regenerated with a fresh one.

This previous thread describes the 'regeneration process'. Written for an Elite, but the eLink process is identical. Just substitute Elite with eLink in the descriptive text.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/railmasterelite-interface/?p=1/#post-200252

Whether you regenerate the .INI file or not, follow the suggestions below anyway:

Note the eLink baud rate is 115200. Also as you have an eLink make 'Check controller' and 'Alternative comms' both =1

You also mentioned 'loosing communication' with the eLink. See this previous thread.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/railmastere-link-problems/?p=1

The above link was written pre-version 1.7x RailMaster software. So in addition to the .INI file values suggested in the link above, also ensure that the entry below is checked and amended if necessary.

Reset eLink on start=0 [if this entry is listed it will probably be =1, change it to =0].

Thanks Chris.

I uninstalled it the weekend followed the instructions in the link you gave me. I reinstalled after turning off Mc afee and avast .I still had a problem with could not detect the controller checked the comm port and it was showing 17, went into device manager and changed it to1  all went well until I went to register again. It then would not register came up with the message that my internet security is blocking it. I phoned my provider but they said it was nothing to do with them. But when I tried it after it registered straight away. and controller was connected. Turned it off then tried to start it but it could not find the controller  checked the settings and it was showing 17 again, Went into Device Manager and it was saying port 1 was in use so used port 2 so changed that again in the settings and it worked. Tried again this morning and although I had to unplug the USB and wait 5 seconds it found it OK so hopefully that problem is behind us. I have created the track plan now. I am waiting for some track to come and the cobalt point motors. I have taken your advice and purchased new track there are only a few parts now that are used.

Thanks Peter

@poundnote

It was my site Chris pointed you to (the Help Site) and I do point out this below on there but just in case you missed it or didn't pick it up...

You should always be aware that port 1 (USB) on any PC or laptop is defaulted to the system itself and cannot be used even if the system says it is available.

One should never really allow a port number greater than 4 to be used either as RM looks at these 3 ports, 2, 3 and 4 first off. Use one of those always.

Get into a habit of using the SAME USB port (socket) even if you have to unplug the cable and reconnect it afterward. That way RM will always find the correct port each time on restart of the software.

Hi.

My Cobalt point motors came today. I had written a programme to set them up ready./media/tinymce_upload/e6912452538154c125bf7bfb00fa9b03.jpg

I connected directly to the E link as I have not finished wireing the layout yet.

/media/tinymce_upload/31e35711b9b5d73800910a5ea8d8eb53.jpg

But nothing happens I have tried putting a meter on the Elink and it doesn't show any power the green light is on and it is connected to the programme. Although that does still need to have the comm ports reset occasionaly. I take it that the E link is faulty

/media/tinymce_upload/4fd1cc000e6617523a20059b67185185.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/f151062c0b6204f11a387a863eeb8260.jpg

Hi Chris 

I put a post up earlier with some photo's in it, but it doesn't seem to be here. Will you be able to see it somewhere. It is just I tried to programme the Cobalts as per your advice but nothing happens I have contacted Rop and he suggested putting a meter across A + B but it doesn't show any power at all. I do think this E link is faulty . I would rather exchange for a select if it is possible.

Will you be able to see it somewhere.

ComMods have no visibility of image posts that are awaiting approval. If you can see it, then we can see it. If you can't see it, then neither can a ComMod.

Don't forget that you have to have the meter switched to measure AC Volts 0-20 volt range to measure a DCC voltage. Expect to get a reading in the region of 13 to 16 volts AC. If the meter is switched to read DC volts, then you will measure next to nothing.

There is no reading at all it just shows 0. I tried the cobalts Should be simple. I wrote a programme with 3 points 197. 198 and 199.  And also 9 poins 001 - 009.  Followed your instructions but absolutley nothing happened tried to follow the instructions on the cobalts but exactly the same =. I contacted Rop and he showed me how to test it but nothing. I have just sent a mail to customer service requesting an exchange.

You do not need a ‘program’ to set them up ready. A tick box in the system setup will cycle them to their startup position as defined in the track-plan dialogue for each point. If you have Pro then you need to define also the cycle sequence, if not it will ackle them in the order they were laid on your track-plan.

I would suggest it the green light is one at the eLink when making these checks the eLink output may be faulty but if the green light is off then suspect the PSU or its jack plug.