DCC Select Power Drain

Olliebags

I've been using my DCC Seelct controller happily for about 4 years. It has 1.5 firmware installed. Gradually been adding more locos (all Hornby) but lately noticed a couple of issues;

1. Locos run at different speeds when control knob is at maximum, some very slowly.

2. Have to "wiggle" the control knob to encourage loco starts and locos dont always respond to speed changes or to stop when knob is turned

3. When one or two locos are running and I try to start another, the power noticeably drains from the ones that are running so they end up running slowly and its difficult to start other locos.

I've cleaned the track/pick ups/running gear so wondered if it could be the controller just wearing out or could there be some other reasons? I'd be grateful for anybody's thoughts and help or advice please. Thnaks

I suggest that it is time for you to upgrade the Select 1 amp power supply to the Hornby P9300 4 amp power supply.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Do you notice any screen changes on the Select when this problem occurs. If so it could confirm brown out which as Chris says can be fixed by upping the PSU.

DCC locos only react to commands to their address, otherwise they run on at the last given speed and driection, so anything that makes all locos react must be overall track potential.

I am no expert on the Select but from what I gather the control knob is a potentiometer as opposed to the Elite that has a rotary encoder. Perhaps the potentiometer is coming to the end of its life. In the old days the symptoms you describe are the same as you would get with the volume control on a audio unit (they are all digital now so you don't get the same issues). I know the way the select reads the potentiometer is probably different but it is still a potentiometer with a carbon track.

• 2 weeks later...