Sound on a DC setup

Leven

Hello folks

I'll apologise before I've even started, but I'm very new to this and trying to understand some of the setups for my son who is absolutey besotted with his slowly growing collection and looking forward to working on it together.

I appreciate it's probably a generic answer but given my naivety I'll be as specific as I possibly can.

Would anybody please be able to shed any light on if I would be able to get the sound on a Bachman Class 158 (PLUX22 DCC sound) to work on a Hornby DC track set up?  

@Leven, welcome to the Forum.........DC is DC whether using Hornby, Peco or Bachmann track and controllers........maybe you would get a more accurate response from your dealer or Bachmann direct.........there is a Bachmann Forum you can join.........HB

According to the spec, the Loksound PLUX22 DCC will work with DC (analogue) power, but it will have very little functionality.  I have a Bachmann J11 with factory fitted Loksound decoder, and in analogue it makes a whistle and startes chuffing as you apply power and speed up.  I imagine the diesel equivalent will make a horn sound followd by increased revs and volume of the motor when you start up, and dimished sound as you slow down, but not a lot else.

I have Loksound V3.5 and V4 sound decoders. They have to be configured for it, which could be a 'catch 22' situation if they haven't been configured for it by the seller and you don't have a DCC controller that amends CVs. But my Loksound sound decoders will make a basic engine sound on DC i.e either steam chuffs or diesel rumble. What they won't do, is play any spot sounds.

Now whether your PLUX22 [if ESU branded, then the same makers of Loksound decoders] are configured for basic DC sound is anybodies guess.

I wouldn't consider buying DCC Sound decoders on the assumption that you can get basic sound on DC. That would be an expensive gamble. If you have been gifted a PLUX22 sound fitted loco, then just try it on DC. Just for information, the cheaper Hornby TTS sound decoders can not make any sounds under DC control.

Train-Tech make self contained sound models specifically for DC working. They use motion detection to adjust the sounds. The sounds are generic steam or generic diesel.

You can see some demonstration videos on the Train-Tech website ... click this link.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Colin posted whilst I was typing mine, his link goes to the same Train-Tech site as the one I posted.

If your Bachman Class 158 has the sound card fitted, I would expect you to gt some sounds. Bachmann tend to use LokSound modules and I have absolutely no experience of them on DC. I do know the Zimo ones work on DC as before I had got into DCC, I had a Schools Loco that made noises on DC. I would assume LokSound ones do the same, but as I say I don't know.

@ Leven........I emailed your question to Bachmann and got a reply in 46 minutes and I quote.......

..."Running on DC.Your model will operate on DC powered track producing basic prime mover sounds only that will vary according to it’s use, directional lights and passenger compartment lights. If sufficient voltage is available the leading cab lights will illuminate when stationary."

"All Bachmann Branchline SOUND FITTED models will produce normal running sounds and any automated or randomised sounds when power is applied. There are also a number of lighting features available to Analogue users when operating the Class 158."

HB

As a matter of interest.........the  Sound decoder fitted to the Class 158 is by Zimo.

And further to recent discussion concerning types of DC controller Bachmann advise........

"Please note: If this model is to be controlled with an analogue (DC) output controller Bachmann Europe PLC recommend the use of a controller with a smoothed output. If you intend to use a feedback type controller, or one with PWM (pulse width modulation) please consult the controller manufacturer before using it with this model."

Maybe Leven needs to take this into consideration.

HB

I would advise that folk pay heed to the manufacturer's advice concerning using an approved controller rather than your unhelpful comment that "PWM should be ok". Bachmann and Zimo are covering the warranty, not you. That Zimo decoder is £99..........HB

Thank you all very much for all of your help and advice, I've never come across such a helpful and welcoming forum.  Especially big thank you to HB for emailing Bachmann too, that was above and beyond!

I'll have a good look into all of those suggestions and definitely check out the controller compatibility too.

Think I'll be a regular here now reading up on all the threads and learning from your knowledge.

L