dcc problem

Mick1968

Hi I have got a pendolino, it was working fine, the motor end was ok but i noticed the back end lights were flickering i re-soldered the wires put it back together put it on the track sa bit of black smoke appeared now the motor and dummy end dont work

at all

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

To start on a light note, then get more serious, all electronic components and circuits are manufactured with a sealed section containing smoke. If a component fails, its last act is to rupture this section and release the smoke, confirming to you it has in fact failed and you need to get a new one. 

Now for the serious, why did it fail?  There are 2 common reasons. The first is to cause it produce more than its rated current by connecting it to a motor that is drawing more either running or when stalled. In this case, it is usually one or more of the 4 larger black diodes near where the wires connect to the decoder that fail. They will be looking very charred if this happens. You can only have caused such a fault via a short circuit by accidentally soldering between any of the output wires of the decoder, starting with motor output orange and grey, but possibly one or more of the function outputs like yellow and white used for the lights. 

The other sure fire way is to connect either of input red or black to output orange or grey. 

in either case, you will need to find the short, remove it and replace the decoder. 

Well I have worked in electronics for 40 years and never heard of components having a sealed section containing smoke before. I always though the smoke was emitted due to overheating / burning of the materials used in the manufacture of the individual components?

It's the leftovers of the good old Woodbines left during manufacture that is placed in the component so the smoke lasts long enough for the user to see it and if you put your nose close to the loco you'll smell that distinctive ciggy smell you get when someone stands near you who smokes 20 or 30 a day and doesn't notice that aroma they carry... :-)

Or could it be that Fishy is pulling a fast one here? I've never heard that one before and if the Aussies use smoke in their chips it's great that we use salt and vinegar! :-)

It obviously costs more to have the smoke capsules fitted as all the expensive electronic components I have killed off all had smoke fitted. The cheap ones have never smoked.

Archived