Setting up Railmaster

96RAF

Just to let folk know even us old hands can have problems with RM.

i have three copies of RM one of which is Pro. RM+Pro is on my Train-PC, the others are on a laptop and the house PC.

I wanted to run my main layout from a laptop (late model good spec USB 3 on Win10) and I had used this device reliably for years as my test kit in UK when I came on holiday from Cyprus, using a single Elite controller. It worked absolutely fine. The plan was to rig it for 2 x controllers then switch Pro across from the Train-PC to the laptop. What could be easier - as it happens - brain surgery, painting the Forth Bridge, curing C-19, etc.

When I tried to set RM up on the laptop with Elite as Contr A and eLink as Contr B I ran into problems. Initially RM reported 2 x connected eLinks at latest revision v1.07 despite Dev Mgr and RM Settings listing these as they actually were - Elite and eLink.

I fiddled with the ini file settings and got to the situation where Elite was not recognised (pink settings label and inactive icon) and eLink was stated to be in need of update, which I allowed to go ahead, but it failed, suggesting a manual update. I ran the manual update and it confirmed my eLink was already at v1.07. Oh Dear.

Having fiddled some more with various settings and swapping around between the 3 x available comm ports on the laptop I decided to talk to HRMS. They said the laptop USB was probably crook, I responded and await further suggestions from them.

In the meantime I set up the old Train-PC running RM-Pro, connected to the Elite and eLInk which control the main layout, cranked it up and all was well. I updated RM to the very latest version and all remained well, so I guess I shall run the layout from the old tower PC and the laptop stays indoors as an ornament.

Just goes to show some kit can mess you around and other kit is totally reliable.

Rob, sounds very complicated. Good luck! Can I ask a slightly relevant question: when you are in Cyprus, do you have any problems getting program authorisation/activation or trying to send a report to RM support from within the program? I have huge problems here in Spain to the extent I'm terrified of trying to get RM activated and working on a newer laptop. I used to manage to connect via my mobile phone Internet connection but even that seems to have stopped working. 

I am in UK permanent now, but when resident in Cyprus the ISP Cytanet was A1 for product and support.

I never had any problems activating RM  or indeed any internet related access problems.

Any problems reported were generally either fixed on line at the time of reporting or a fettler and his mate were despatched to the house generally same day but no later than next day.

They even rewired my house f.o.c. when upgrading the internet provider service required the old telephone cable replaced by newer cat6 cable.