Changing CV1 the hard way.

Nigel1707822225

I have a loco with Hornby DCC encoder.

I also have some electronics I designed myself to shuttle the loco back and forth.

The shuttling works fine.

Next  I want to change CV1 to not 3.

Hoiwever when I send change cv1 command using direct addressing it doesnt work.

Where can I get info on changing CV1 in software ?

Where can I get info on changing CV1 in software ?

You either need a DCC Controller or a DCC programmer to change the 03 address.

What hardware/software equipment are you currently using to try and change the address?

If you own a DCC Controller, then tell us which one. Then some specific guidance could be given. You might not be using it correctly.

OR

If you haven't got a DCC Controller or a programmer, and you have got electronics experience as your post indicates. Then you could consider making a basic controller using an Arduino and free to use public domain software for it.

This is just one of many sites documenting such projects ... use Google to find more:

https://www.instructables.com/DCC-Command-Station-Introduction/

If you feel that a home brewed DIY DCC Controller is 'one step too far', then you could consider the 'ready made' SPROG II programmer which is very low cost compared to a commercial DCC controller and is supported by 'Open Source' [free to use] JRMI DecoderPro decoder programming software.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum. TIPs include 'How to post images' and 'How to make links clickable'.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

You need your electronics package to send DCC command strings to the loco decoder. If you have your loco moving under speed and direction control then you obviously have a basic grasp of those commands protocol, unless of course you are fudging that control by sending Loco Zero (analogue loco) stretched zero bit data instead.

To change CVs you need those command strings to put the decoder into programming mode, then send across the new value. The decoder (loco end of the command chain) then needs to send an Ack (acknowledgment) to tell the encoder (your end not the loco end) the coomand has been seen and actioned.

All details of the command string protocol can be found on the NMRA website, DCC specifications area.

There is a very similar DIY DCC shuttle thread running on another forum - RMWeb.