Points decoder

JackJCBR

Hi

I have bought a second points decoder for my layout and although it has been set up the same as the first it does not seem able to change the points. I have swapped over the point motors and they work fine on the other decoder.

I have reset the decoder but it still works correctly just not strong enough to change the points over.

It's all hornby equipment with an Elite controller.

Could it be anything else other than a dodgy points decoder?

Whilst you wait for a reply, perhaps you would spend a few minutes reviewing the TIPs in the TIP page link below:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

If the same physical motors are working OK from the other decoder it seems like your bargain-buy wasn’t what it was sold as.

If a reset by writing value 8 to acc decoder CV8 does not improve things then it would appear to be duff.

The built in CDU does not have much grunt and good motor alignment coupled with freedom of point movement is critical to reliable point operation.

Hi,

If your points decoder is the Hornby R8427, you can increase the duration of the electrical pulse measured in miliseconds, a longer pulse should give a better result when changing points. You could try increasing the pulse in stages up to about 500ms (if I remember correctly), beyond that is probably not recommended. Please refer to the user manual (if it is the R8427) ..

Let us know how you get on..

Peter

R8247 Point and Accessory Decoder - not R8427. Pulse duration can be adjusted to as long as 25.5 secs before it goes continuous for use with signal lamps. As stated 500ms (CVs3-6 set at valie 50) is the recommended max for solenoids.

The older R8216 point decoder is a fixed pulse device set at 100mS suitable only for solenoids, not signal lamps.