Convert Bibby Line Merchant Navy Class to DCC

itydog

Hi all,

I am about to tackle my first dc to dcc conversion ever on this loco driven model this weekend .I will be  using the R8249  decoder.Thanks to a post from fishmanoz I am happy with  which wires go where except the two tiny black wires on the loco's small rear wheels (pony truck ).I suppose they are providing current from the tender ( non powered).What do I do with them?

Any specific help or other general dc to dcc assistance would be greatly received.

Mistydog

A word of caution.  If you are fitting the decoder in the loco body, check that there is enough space in the boiler/smokebox for it.  Bibby Line was only the fourth Merchant Navy to be produced, before the days of DCC and the front end of the body was opened out in later examples to provide room for the decoder. 

I have converted about 4 of these which I had accumulated over the years. Two of them there was room to fit a decoder in the loco body, on the other two there was a huge weight in the way. What I did with these two was buy a 4 pin lead and connector as is used on current Hornby models and moved the DCC socket to the tender. Putting the DCC in the tender also means there is enough room to add sound. To be quite honest I should have put the DCC decoder in the Tender on all four, it makes life so much easier. These are one of the few locos where a 90's version isn't much diffent to a current one, for some reason Hornby never used Tender drive on this model.

I forgot to mention. A lot of these have speedo drives attached to the valve gear remember to unscrew it before you remove the body or else you will break it. I am always forgetting and you can't get them anymore.

The reason was the rebuilt Merchant Navy was the first all-new steam loco to be made for Hornby in China and was to new standards throughout, hence, I assume, the move to good quality loco-drive.  There were no more all-new tender drive locos made, although existing models continued to have new releases with tender drive and the can motor set-up from ex-Lima models was also adapted for some Railroad models to retain tender drive.

Hi, everyone.thanks for your responses.Today was not a good modelling day.I failed miserably to do the conversion.I have realised my hands and fingers are better suited to heavy weight boxing than modelling.I just could not deal with the tiny decoder wires, my hands shook when trying to solder.I am now awaiting quotes to get a retailer to do the conversion.

Many thanks for your support.

Mistydog