Elite Encoders - replacement items

96RAF

A UK source has been found for the sometimes troublesome speed knob encoders on the Elite.

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Bourns/PEC11L-4215F-S0015?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduh4eFDVYYnxMHt6lhYbh8Y9J29eXhtitZZTCB4%252BjBgiAMA214Oc7DGH

The item part number is a close match physically and works fine electrically. It is also available without detents if that is your preference, but the part number given in the link has detents and these are reported to be more positive than the originals.

I shall order up a couple for comparison.

Farnell also list an item with a longer shaft and threaded shank which would require sawing a bit off the shaft and using washers under the shank to fit correctly, but these are on supply from US at a silly one-off per order cost compared to the cost per item for the encoders.

Many thanks to Ed Cairns in Canada for his work in finding a match to the original spec and proving the electrical side works OK.

Thanks RAF96, they are quite a reasonable price as well. The one on my Elite has started to play around, surprisingly it is not the encoder part that is causing an issue it is the switch, but that may well be because I use it mainly for reading and writing CV values.

The Mouser UK source actually provisions from the US as well, and with the same one-off per order charge applIed.

GRRR - why don’t these UK suppliers show this up front rather than lead one up the garden path. Some of these suppliers also have a minimum order of quantity.

There is a single item available on eBay but at 4 times the big supplier unit cost.

I decided to go for the more expensive unit cost item from UK with free postage.

If I were so inclined I would order a hundred from Mouser and flog them here in UK at a great profit, but can I be bothered - NO.

When it turns up I will compare the detent force, etc and report back. It may be one with no detent at all would work better in hand.

Ed Cairns has reported back from Canada that his Elite works perfectly now with the new encoders and that the firmer detent makes for more accurate selections as the values do not change just as you go to press the button, but he does say they make a louder click which some folk may not be too keen on.

All in all a good exercise and as a result I will update my Teardown to include this new information.

The Elite Teardown is now amended to incorporate Ed’s write up on swapping out the encoders as Annex A.

My thanks to Ed for his work in sourcing an available encoder from the old spec and showing us how to do.

He reports all is well and the fix is a good ‘un.