Can't reprogram decoder.

Hi. I'm having problems re-addressing recent locos.

I'm following the steps I've used in the past without any issues.

Using locomotive settings choose the dcc value to be assigned.

Name loco be it hornby or other.  Set cruising and shunting speed then open locomotive settings and put assigned value into cv1

Then write cvs 

Everything to here is normal and seems to continue normally. Ie writing, confirming and finished

At that point save locos details and close windows. All appears fine and it seems to update. But loco doesn't show up on control panel or list of Locos.

However if I do the same procedure using an dcc id that I've used before it does accept that value.

Two questions arise.

Is there a limit to the number of locos that can be assigned using railmaster with elink?

This problem seems to have started  after railmaster updated. Could that be the issue?

Loosing newly added locos in the roster is a known issue, but only happens when you have about 60 locomotives configured. How many have you got?

That would appear then to be the previously reported problem. There isn't a perfect fix, but there is a 'workaround' solution that allows RailMaster to function with higher than 60 locos. The 'workaround' uses RailMaster's 'Loco Grouping' feature and is documented in this old thread. This is the first time this issue has been raised again on the forum since the date of the thread.

Grouping Locos to fix loco roster limit.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/railmaster-has-limit-on-the-roster-of-64-active-locos/?p=1/

This problem seems to have started after RailMaster updated. Could that be the issue?

This issue goes back in RailMaster to at least 2017, long before the current 1.73 version release.

As you have noted there are two distinct events required when adding a loco to RM.

One is adding it to the loco roster and two is physically assigning an address to the decoder, either direct from your controller or in RM using the loco CV table and adding the address to Cv1 for short addresses or (from memory) by way of the Σ icon to add a long address, then if required checking Cvs 17/18 values against the long address calculator at 2mm.org.