Brand new locomotive stopped working

Mesprite

Hi guys, sorry to trouble you.

I recently bought "Hornby R1254M GWR Freight Train Set - Analogue" from Amazon, I've set it up and everything and all was working well. However now just a few weeks later the GWR 0-6-0 Locomotive included has almost completely packed in and I'm new to the hobby so unsure what to do next. You can hear when power is on it has a squeal inside the motor and if you gently push the Loco sometimes the wheels do try to turn and sometimes the loco will go forward a few inches on its own but then cut out. This is not an issue with the track / controller to my knowledge as the other loco I have (This year's hornby club 0-4-0) works beautifully still. The wheels are locked up as I assume they should be when off the track so I'm unsure what the issue could be? Any help would be much appreciated.

Also another thing is I have got additional track packs B+C+D, and the set comes already with pack A and the whole lot is fine when running the 0-4-0 around all of it.

Thank you for your time guys,

Jack

Return the faulty loco for repair, replacement or refund under guarantee/warranty  Don't mess with it as that could invalidate the guarantee/warranty.  The only exception to this, IMHO,would be carefully cleaning the wheels treads, backs and wipers if needed.

I agree with everything that Rog (RJ) has said, but one small thing you could try, would be to put a 9v battery against the wheels and see whether there is any movement. From what you have said there probably won't be any movement, but this a simple job that does not involve taking anything apart and therefore invalidating your guarantee.

I agree entirely with the rest. You could phone or email Hornby to see whether they will just fix the loco, rather than having to send the whole lot back. As RAF96 says is probably the tolerance on the gear-train is not right, so it is slipping. It did it on one of my old 0-6-0s.

The squeal might be symptomatic of one or more of the pick-up wipers being misplaced and that could also account for the erratic running.  You can check these from underneath without having to take the body off - there should one bearing on the back of all six wheel rims.  To see what you are looking for, check the maintenance leaflet that came with the set or have a look at service sheet 348 downloadable via the Help & Advice drop-down menu.  If you do end up deciding to send it back, speak with the seller as, from experience, Hornby are not always willing to accept back only part of a set.

Hello Mesprite & welcome to the forum  😀

sorry to trouble you.

No trouble at all - that is what we are here for - to help others out!!!  😀

& oh b. t. w. - I have the very same set as you - it's a Lovely little set with the small crane, wagon, small Carriage & brake wagon - yep as all said above - just send the set back!!!