New to DCC but....

Godsdeputy

Hi!  I think I'm in need of some serious help.  I became the proud owner of a Hornby Elite controller plus quite a few locomotives when we cleared out my late father's home.  Initial efforts to control locomotives went quite well on a layout I had conceived.  But when I ran a train to the extremities of the layout, I could send it there and bring it to a stop....and that was it.  It just refused to move again.

I thought maybe I should provide a second connection from the controller to the far end of the track.  And that seemed to help.  At least I could get the train moving.  However, it derailed on the first points it came across and (I assume) something shorted because the error light came on.

I powered the controller off and on (by pulling out the supply connector...no other way to do this I thought?   And that was the end.  On reconnecting power....nothing.  No display, no LEDs.  The device is DEAD.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Andy

The power plug and socket can be a bit iffy.

Can you check the PSU is actually putting out power at the plug using a meter or simple bulb.

If there is power at the plug then try this . . .

Hold down the LOCO button as you plug the power in (three hands required). When you see Hornby on screen release the button and report back what you see if anything.

To recover from this test, simply power down and up again.

Hi, thanks so much for the advice.  I checked the PSU connector with a m/meter and it is reading 15.25V DC.  I assume that's what you would expect?  Trying the "test" with the LOCO button held when power is applied yields no result.  No display, no led lighting, nothing.

Is it worth opening the unit up to see what's going on inside?  I hesitate to say this....I have a degree in electronics so should be able to do some basic testing / fault finding....but frankly have worked in marketing most of my life so have forgotten most of what I knew :-)

Actually the screws are tamper proof if I'm not mistaken so not sure how I would get in anyway.  Should I just call Hornby Customer Services and pay for a repair?

Thanks again, Andy

This should  help...

http://www.halton96th.org.uk/page12.html

Any further help required after that please shout.

I have a spare Elite that throws up an error on Boot, which I managed to sort of clear by reinstalling the latest firmware v1.45, then doing a unit reset. Obviously you cannot reset the thing if it doesn’t boot in the first place, but ignoring all indications or lack of them I managed to get the firmware to load.

Failing that contact HCC for a repair but be aware they may send it back not fixed as it was assessed as BER.