NEM conversion

Smudge617

I have an assortment of GWR, LNER and LMS coaches plus rolling stock, mainly Hornby and some older Triang, all with the usual tension lock system and I am looking at converting them to NEM couplings, but I'm not sure how difficult it would be, has anyone done this and could give me some hints please.

Thanks

Symoba make NEM conversion kits .... something here might be appropriate or of interest.

https://www.dccsupplies.com/cat-591/symoba-nem-conversions.htm

The items below are not shown on the page above [they used to be] I assume because they are 'out of stock' on the above link. The items below are the adjustable height mountings for the NEM pockets in the above link.

https://www.petersspares.com/103642-dcc-supplies-symoba-111-nem-conversion-sliders-kinematic-coupling-pk2.ir

I have a fair number of goods wagon with the hornby couplings. Rather than try to modify them all, I will modify the coupling on the first wagon so it connects to the loco with the NEM type coupling. Then make up trains as previous. 

Change of subject. I ran my trains the other day and had problems with three coaches derailing at the same point. I found the problem quite quickly. I had added concertina corridor ends to them. They were fine on the straights but on bends the ends parted of overlapped and then extended and jammed in the concertinas. Causing the carriage to derail. Pity as they looked good.

Happy new year. 2021

If by NEM you just mean narrow tensiobn lock couplings.rather than fitting nem pockets Hornby make the R8099 coupling which will push into the airfix sockets which were used on Airfix, and subsequent manufacturers who took on these models such as Mainline, nearly DAPOL, and Hornby. Also Bachmann make a narrow screw on coupling for former Mainline stoick which can be made to fit earlier hornbu triang mounts with the two pegs and a centre screw. Indeed it would probably be possible to fit these where the the couplings.were held on by a centre rivit.

However, i would not bother. Having converted a large amount of my stiock from wide to narrow tension lock, I spent a great deal converting them back as I found I got a lot more derailments.

The thought of having to cut off the moulded on couplings also heavily influenced my descision

The big problem is that the narrow tension lock need some side to side movement when the go around curves. In the end I have standardized on the medium tension lock for most vehicles with wide rension locks for brake vans and other long wheel-base wagons.

The execptions are fixed coach formations where i use the Hornby Roco type close couplings and a Bullied rake with the narrow tension locks. Both types of set having wide tension locks at each end.

The stock which prompted me to convert away from the narrow tension locks were the GWR toads (ex Airfix), GWR Centenaries and the 21T mineral wagons all for which kept derailing