Help needed on reverse loop

Guest Chrissaf

/media/tinymce_upload/523c61b5db2faff3c00fc71e39daea43.jpg

AI'm have the sub layer of my track more or less as I wish it to be, but I have obviousy got to sort out how I'm going to wire it for DCC.  It has got a little to complicated for me at this stage and any advise would be apprieciated.  The yard is simply a storage/starting point and the sation platform on the inner ring will have trains arriveing from one direction only (right to left).  There are  in effect two reversing loops I believe, this is where I have issues in how I'm going to controle that.

Two Reverse Loop Modules [RLM] are needed. The red sections of track are the two sections that need to be isolated via Insulated Rail Joiners and powered via RLMs to form protected track sections.

/media/tinymce_upload/1334bb367d8ab4c6e3c265b344adf25c.jpg

Since Hornby have made their R8238 RLM obsolete, then a non Hornby RLM will need to be used.

You haven't said what DCC Controller and more importantly DCC power supply you are using. If the power supply is the Hornby 1 amp power supply [eLink & Select]. Then I strongly recommend that this is upgraded to the Hornby P9300 4 amp power supply. This is because the power supply needs to be able to supply more current than the RLM trigger current with enough current overhead so as to have reliable and robust operation.

Section 7 of my RLM tutorial gives recommendations regarding suitable RLM products available in the UK market. Personally, I use the Tam Valley DFJ003 product configured with a 1.7 amp trigger current and find that this works flawlessly with my Hornby P9300 4 amp power supply [Elite].

My RLM Tutorial can be downloaded from here:

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/7g88A308Mz

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Particularly as my reply includes an image, using the 'Blue Button' may result in your reply being held back for image approval, even though it is an existing image.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum. TIPs include 'How to post images' and 'How to make links clickable'.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

I have selected to use BLOCKsignalling REV2 Automatic Reversing Loop Module for DC & DCC Model Railway

my layout has a double reverse loop andd this module handles my needs. Good for both DC & DCC 

also controls points and uses IR sensor to check the train has left the loop to trigger the Points

http://blocksignalling.co.uk/index.php/autoreverser-rev2-for-dc-dcc

hope this post is acceptable 

The 'Block Signalling' product is in my view 'over-complicated' for this particular posted question solution. The poster's requirement above is not a simple 'teardrop' reverse loop fed directly from a single point for which the BS REV2 product is highly suited for. The solution I have offered is more straight forward to install and needs less wiring than the BS product, neither does it need installation of any IR detectors.

I do agree though that the BS REV2 product is excellent for a DC Layout where the automatic handling of 'reverse loops' is not very well served.

Although the BS product can technically handle a DCC layout, it appears to use its DC mode of operation to do it. The BS product is primarily a DC Auto Reverser that can be used on a DCC layout, but realistically needs [as far as I can tell from the user guide] a simple 'teardrop' single point layout design to work as designed on DCC. This does not fit in well with the layout design as presented in this question. This assessment is borne out by the statement quoted from the BS website below:

The BS REV2 product mode of operation states on the website:

"Each time the train enters the loop, it will alternate the direction of travel."

Thus the flexibility to choose dynamically & automatically on demand which side of the RL the train enters is lost

This BS product uses IR sensors to detect train location and operate the point and track polarity accordingly via relays. Which realistically, is the only feasible way it can be done on a DC Analogue controlled layout. A DCC only RLM measures 'short circuit' current draw on the track to detect the train, and many DCC RLM products then switch the DCC phase electronically without any moving parts such as relays. This makes them far more efficient and reliable in the longer term.

On the BS website, the suggested REV2 product is actually listed in the DC section of the website, which kinda supports my assessment of the product given above. BS also do a REV1 product which is listed in the DCC product section, which more closely follows the RLM product design and operation type as recommended for my solution.