Problem with points OL

CaptainRex78

Good afternoon, I am having problems with my sons layout when the train hits the points it causes a OL. We are using  a hornby select unit and the train  currently in use is R3395TTS.It was working fine the other day  maybe one or two OL , but I have since removed the train from the inner track. Running solo it is stopping omn the points with OL. the points have been fitted with the horseshoe clips for dcc and position is as instructed by  guy in model store. Is it something simple or is there a big problem the layout is the same as the dual oval from the hornby  started map.

There is the odd chance a point may be faulty, but without a multimeter you will struggle to prove it.

It may just be the loco is shorting the point. Try running it from the inner loop with the point set both ways and if OK run it back across the point from inside to outside. If the loco runs OK with the point set one way, but the controller OLs when set the other way it is more than likely the point at fault.

It's not even the changing loops  he was just running the train on the outer loop as just shorted on the point piece of track. i completely disassembled the tracks and checked each new piece I added back on the meter and all ok  but just getting  a OL   on the point the odd time . for now i disassembled the lay out and just put in place the outer loop without point track and it is running fine. Is it possible that the connectors on the train are positioned too close together and are causing the short ?

Its very possible the locos wheels are touching the metal rails at the frog where they are closest.  

This is quite a common problem. Ideally you need to check all the wheels on the loco are set to the correct Back to Back (B2) distance.  I have found several brand new loco with incorrectly set wheels out of their boxes.  Special gauges are available for checking this and are sold by good model shops or the Double O Gauge Association where their Intermediate Standard B2B gauge is needed,

A quick fix to prove its the wheels bridging the rails is to paint the metal rail surface with nail varnish for about 1.0mm from the plastic frog area painting the varnish on the metal rail tops. Note the varnish wont last long!  If it cures the problem, consider fitting Insulated Rail Joiners (Nylon Fishplates) in place of the metal ones. fitting them onto the two Vee rail ends of the problem point. Then depending on how the layout is configured, you may have to add two new rail feeds after the IRJs .  This problem is shown here.... http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC-Page-1.html#problems

Oh BTW ensure you get permission to use the Nail Varnish!  😬