Terrible Terrier

Guest Chrissaf

I bought a Hornby R3783 Terrier last year with 6 Pin DCC decoder fitted from Rails of Sheffield.

It never ran consistently, stopping at random intervals and never running at slow speed.  I took it back to Rails who replaced it without quibble but could not tell me what the problem was.

The second one was just the same and both had a good running in for several hours at full power. I have two other locos running smoothly on the same track without a hitch so I don't believe it is a problem with the track.

Short of taking it back for a third try, do I have any other options such as a 5 pole motor or different decoder?

Any suggestions welcome.

Others will no doubt advise regarding DCC but I would make two observations: first - running-in is not advisable "for several hours at full power".  Around 30 minutes at moderate speed in each direction is sufficient.  Second: you make no comment regarding the cleanliness of the loco's wheel treads and backs where the pick-ups make contact.  Are all the pick-ups positioned correctly on the wheels and are they also clean?

As far as I am awasre, there is not an alternative 'drop-in' motor; I should imagine the factory-fitted motor is a 5-pole unit. 

You could try a Zimo decoder, I have found that they are slighly better at dealing with a bad DCC signal. Do your other locos have loco and tender pickups, that definitely makes a difference. I have a "Rails" Terrier so I cannot comment how good/bad they are, but I remember seeing "Sams Trains" test and in that they came out pretty good. You might consider adding "Stay alive", the DCC Concepts decoders come with it fitted in some cases. As Going Spare says, it might be worth checking if the wheels have dirt on them and that the "pickups" are working properly.

Thanks guys,

The pickups/wheels are surgically clean and in full contact so I cant see that is the problem.

The run-in was recommended by Rails but didn't seem to make any difference.

The other locos have more wheels/pickups but they also have 5 pole motors and different decoders.

Rails are advertising new 'Connect' decoders for silky smooth operation.  Is that logical?

You say the wheel treads and backs of wheels are spotlessly clean.  Double check the rail tops are spotlessly clean and also that the track is it laid flat. Dirty or uneven track will be a major issue to a small number of wheels on a 0-6-0 loco like the Terrier.  

You say you have any other DCC Fitted locos which run correctly but are these with similar 0-6-0 wheel arrangements or even smaller 0-4-0 types?

Moving to a more upmarket make of decoder may well give improved running and it will certainly give far more CV adjustments to help with running issues assuming the existing decoder is the basic Hornby one?   Also assuming your DCC system can adjust CVs!  

I too had a poor running new Hornby DCC fitted Terrier which was jerky and would keep stopping. After trying all the necessary track and wheel cleaning and CV adjustments, sent it back to retailer. The replacement Terrier runs without fault straight from the box. A lovely loco.

Thanks, good to know I am not alone

I set up a metre length test track to avoid any alignment/contact problems.  The Terrier started off nice and smoothly and ran well for a few minutes but then came to a shuddering halt and refused to move at all.

The decoder was fitted by Rails on both occasions so I can't comment on that. My best buy was a DCC ready Hornby Tornado which has run without a hitch and cost less that the Terrier + DCC.

Back to Rails I think.