Random movement

Slowhand

Hi All

an odd one for advice if possible

last night random trains on my set up started moving

probably 8-10 trains on the track and sidings but only two in operation

suddently trains would start moving, TTS programmes that I would normally use would start (lights, engine and one of the horns)

if I quickly typed in the address into the Elite then nothing was showing on the selected train

the Elite is unplugged every night so seems unlikey it is remembering a previous instruction 

will do a full reset this evening

all thoughts welcome

thanks

Eric

Likely to be a poor track bus, if you even have one. Do you have power clips or power track connections to the Elite, if so habe you checked they do not have capacitors fitted as they will corrupt the DCC signal.

I had a lashed up loop to loop power distribution on a triple loop test track and I saw uncommanded movement and ‘son et lumiere‘ TTS events.

My bus wiring was totally inadequate for the job and I blamed it all on that.

If you have a track bus system then you may need to consider bus terminators, easily made for pennies or bought for pounds.

Even on my new layout with a proper bus system and terminators I have the odd loco that sounds a horn as it traverses a single point, not,every time but now and then, so again corrupt DCC signal suspected.

Rob wrote:

"Do you have power clips or power track connections to the Elite, if so have you checked they do not have capacitors fitted as they will corrupt the DCC signal."

This is what he means:

/media/tinymce_upload/b4bc5cbd304ea302a225a960d60cdc7e.jpg

These capacitors can potentially be a root cause of the odd DCC behaviour that you are observing.

The R8241 is the correct power track for DCC and should not contain the problematic capacitors in them. The picture shows a R8206 Analogue power track. You can tell the difference because the R8206 has Buff/Pink Press Buttons and the buttons on the R8241 are usually Dark Grey or sometimes Green.

Rog (RJ) is right to suggest that a check is made anyway, as I have a vague recollection that some very early R8241s left the China factory with the R8206 capacitor still inside them. These were typically found in early Digital Train Sets.