Quality Control

Guest Chrissaf

I returned to model railways during the first lockdown, my earlier experience was with Hornby Dublo during the 60s.  Then I could fix most problems because the technology was simple and visible. This time I decided to go for 3 trains, (big/medium/small) and try my hand at the new-fangled DCC.

The big and medium trains were great and have continued to work flawlessly. However the small loco was a dog and some of the wagons would just uncouple at random intervals. So I took them back to my local dealer, expecting some technical discussion but all they did was change them.  The second loco was no better so that has also gone back.

It appears to me now that we customers are actually the quality control department, - we accept or reject each item. My question is, what happens to the rejects?  Are they sent back to Hornby, sold on as seconds, thrown in the bin or put back on the shelf to be sold to the next customer?

I don't know about the locos but the uncoupling of wagons at random intervals is not entirely Hornby's fault. The trouble with the NEM couplings (the new couplings) is that they seem to do that, Hornby I assume just fits them, as that is what they are required to do by all the reviewers. The old Triang type ones although a bit "cluncky" seem to work tons better. The NEW ones either uncouple themselves, normally when the trucks get a bit of momentum and the loco slows down, or have the habit of pulling out completely. Bachmann carriages seem to be even worse at uncoupling.

I have a rake of four superdetailed Pullmann coaches (with lights) that all seem to have their (narrow) couplings at different heights.  Some have couplings attached to the bogies, others fitted to NEM pockets built into the underframe that supposedly allow for closer coupling on straights, expanding on curves.  A smiliar situation with a mixed rake of Hornby and Bachmann Mk1 coaches.  The NEM pockets seem to be the main source of issues, as they sag on many models.  You only have to look at catalogue photos of some wagons (Dapol seem to be the worst culprit) where the couplings seem to have a noticeable droop to them.  This makes coupling up harder, and random uncoupling quite common.

I would say that they are reboxed and put back on the shelf for the next unsuspecting customer. I have a Hornby tank loco that originally had a locking bar in the bottom for transport. It wasn't there on purchase and was a noisy runner. Returning it I was refused a swop or refund as it wasn't complete. I have never used that shop since, which is a shame as the stock levels are great with keen prices.

I may well do that once normal life resumes but for now I have to deal with different people online whom seem to be following a script.

I was interested in other peoples experience with their dealer, should I be expecting technical advice from them?

From earlier posts, you have been dealing with Rails.  They no longer stock Hornby products so you may find there is now less assistance from them but in general terms, yes, you should expect to be able to discuss technical matters, although the knowledge/willingness to help of the person with whom you are dealing may vary between large retailers and the traditional model shop.  As for the couplers, to remove the disengaging hook problem, take a look at Kaydee knuckle units which use NEM sockets but not the tensionlock head.  As to classifying all the miscreant items as rejects, this may not be entirely true as earlier comments here suggest it is 'the nature of the beast'.  

From t'internet:

Rails of Sheffield have announced that they will be unable to supply forthcoming Hornby products. ... We regret to inform you that after over 35 years of trading with Hornby, with immediate effect we are unable to fulfil any orders for forthcoming release or out of stock Hornby products.25 Aug 2020

Al.

When ever I look at the Rails website they have very little Hornby, but I got the same mail. People are right it depends who you get on the end of the phone for advise. I once got a DC Concepts decoder off of Hattons, it was one with a connector. No way could I get this connector to fit. Phoned up Hattons and they didn't really know, phoned up DC Concepts and it appeared it was a mis package they had put the wrong lead in. They sorted it immediately, I was very impressed. As for the couplings I found the Hunt magnetic ones were very good, the only issue being they clip into the NEM pocket and have a habit of falling out.

I missed the Rails Hornby announcement.  Any suggestions for alternative supplier?

On close inspection of my wagon couplers I see three different hook lengths, mix of Hornby/Dapol/Oxford. This means that only one hook is engaged and the other is free to bounce up.  Add this to a jerky loco and uncoupling will occur.  Lesson learnt.

In theory (!) the pockets should be standard so either move the heads around between vehicles so that two of the same type come together or buy replacement heads from one of the manufacturers to standardise.  Hornby supplies 10 narrow heads in pack R8219, 10 medium width in R8267 or 10 wide in R8268.

A bit odd, Rails I would have thought were one of Hornby's better customers !  I smell a rat in the woodpile.

Hattons, that other large "internet" dealer, appeared to be having an odd relationship with Bachmann, as products from that company did not always appear on Hattons listings during 2019-20 !!!???

As Bachmann have a German boss (since Graham Hubbard retired), I have thought for some years, that the German business policy of "No discounting or we won't supply you", might be at the root of Bachmanns more recent odd behaviour. Marketing policies in Germany tend to work with the Germans, but don't seem to work so well with the British....... 

The Duke 71000

Nobody 'in the know' actually declared anything.

All 'manufacturers' want to restrict whatever discounts are offered to the general public from the list price, at least within the first 3-6 months of an item going on sale.

Both of these shops often have sales on, which may have included some quite new stock.

It is suspected that Rails lost their dealership status for preparing their own Terrier.

It is suspected that Hattons lost their dealership status for preparing their own Class 66.

Al.