New DCC F. Scotsman doesn't move

Guest Chrissaf

Hi all.

have just purchased a new flying Scotsman railroad dcc engine and it won't move .

have assigned it on program track to 006 , all seems to work fine . When I put it in the main track the loco straight away hums but doesnt move . It's new track and have been running a mallard and Eurostar in it without any issues . I'm newbie I'm afraid so apologies if I'm missing something blatantly obvious .

I'm newbie I'm afraid, so apologies if I'm missing something blatantly obvious .

When I put it in the main track the loco straight away hums but doesn't move.

Something obvious that definitely causes the humming and no movement is placing a 'DCC Ready' locomotive on a DCC track.

If the box the FS came in says 'DCC Ready' on it, then it is not a Digital locomotive and does not have a DCC decoder in it. Currently, the only new Hornby models that have decoders fitted, are the ones with TTS sound decoders in them.

A locomotive that is labelled on the box as 'DCC Ready' is a DC Analogue locomotive until such time as a Digital DCC Decoder is fitted. 'DCC Ready' just means that the loco has a socket inside it that makes it ready to be converted to digital DCC.

You would not believe how many newbies on this forum do not appreciate the difference between 'DCC Ready' and 'DCC Fitted'. So my apologies if you are aware of the difference. I just have to cover all the bases from first principles to ensure the best guidance and help can be given to you, as the detailed information in your posted question is rather minimal.

If your locomotive truly does not have a decoder in it, then placing it on your DCC powered track and letting it 'hum' when stationary will burn out the motor. So if this diagnosis is correct, then remove it from your DCC powered track until such time as a decoder is fitted.

Note that the decoder socket in a 'DCC Ready' locomotive will have a small PCB plugged into it, this isn't a decoder. It is called a 'DCC Blanking Plate' and provides the function of DC pass through to allow the locomotive to be operated on a DC Analogue layout. The 'Blanking Plate' is removed and kept safe in storage and a DCC Decoder plugged in its place.

If you feel that the locomotive is definitely fitted with a decoder then provide the Hornby R stock code number so that it can be looked up. If it was purchased as a 'DCC Ready' loco but with a dealer fitted decoder prior to shipping then tell us which decoder brand / model is fitted and who fitted it.

Also, it is helpful for you to tell us which DCC Controller you are using?

IF the Flying Scotsman is a factory DCC Decoder fitted TTS sound locomotive, and your other 'DCC Fitted' locomotives are not TTS ones that work, then I would hazard a guess that your new track is using DC Analogue track power connectors rather than DCC compatible ones. The DC Analogue power track products are R602 and/or R8206 with Buff/Pink press buttons. These are known to particularly stop TTS fitted locos from operating correctly. The correct DCC track power connector products are R8241 and/or R8242.

THIS IS A VERY LONG REPLY. PLEASE DO NOT CLICK THE BLUE BUTTON TO REPLY. Please read the TIP below to reply.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum. TIPs include 'How to post images' and 'How to make links clickable'.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Hi Chris

Thank You for your speedy reply , I hang my head in shame !! Yes no decoder!! I brought this and a Mallard at the same time and just assumed they were both the same (mallard has the sound ).

I have an elite controller and did bit the DCC power track . So all that side is good . I have fitted a decider to the Eurostar that I have so know how that works .

kind  regards 

chris 

I know this is a bit after the event, but because in the past I have had lots of issues with decoders. One of the first things I do before I run a DCC based loco is put it on the programming track and try and read either its address or the Manufacturer Id. Now I know it doesn't work with modules that have "Stay Alive" but on all Hornby and Zimo decoders it works. If you don't read anything then that means you might have an issue.

A stupid question - but the Op. stated that everything was fine on the programming track? Whenever I have fitted a decoder and then programmed it - on the programming track - I have never checked whether the loco moved or not - when the lights stops flashing on my Elite I just move the loco to the layout and away we go.

So - will/does the loco move on the programming track?? ☹️

So - will/does the loco move on the programming track??

No ... not if using 'Direct Mode' programming. In my diagnosis I discounted the OP's comment on everything being fine on the 'prog' track as a newbie who didn't appreciate what constituted being fine was. The other information in the scale of things was indicating that it was not fine. Plus in my time answering queries on the forum, I have seen several newbie posts where they have stated they changed the address OK, and it was then subsequently discovered that no decoder was fitted, I treated this OP's question as being more of the same.

The only exception to this is when using the Select controller. The Select uses the same output for both track and programming, where you can test a loco straight away whilst still on a programming track piece.

On some locos, especially it seems with the ones with sound, you do hear a slight buzz when it is programmed. I think RAF96 has mentioned the reasons for this in the past. I think sometimes if you have lights fitted they flash. With the Elite you have the ability to read back what is programmed, so that is what I always do. Surprisingly on the Elite the programming don't always work, sometimes it is because it is not sitting on the track properly and I hate to say it but sometimes the Elite seems just gets it wrong.