Running your trains on other peoples layouts?

M. Matthews

Hi, I am new to the forum so please forgive me if this topic has already been covered.

I've recently got back into the hobby after a good 20 years out. I am currently building a small end to end layout about 1m x 4m. The problem is that I have a slight addiction to buying full length coach rakes which obviously cannot be run on this layout. Not only that, my stock does not comply to any set period or location. I just enjoy running trains.

So I'm wondering about what rules / etiquette there is around running trains on other peoples layouts? Is the railway modelling community a sociable one in which it would be acceptable to make friends with locals and have (for lack of a better expression) play dates to run eachothers stock?

I have looked at my local model railway clubs but all seem to be obsessed with "finescale". What does that mean exactly? I'm not someone who gets too deep into the details of things. If you join a club, is it acceptable to come along and run your trains, or do you need to be bringing something else to the table?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Whilst you wait for a reply, perhaps you would spend a few minutes reviewing the TIPs in the TIP page link below:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Many clubs hold running sessions where anything goes.

I found that clubs could get too cliquey, especially about certain standards, etc, some with over-bearing ‘management’, so I avoid them like the plague, although I fully understand for many folk they are the only option to be involved in model railways if they do not have their own running space. They are a good place to learn from the more experienced members, as well as forge friendships.

Maybe I got unlucky with the clubs I looked at.

M. Mathews,

Despite what RAF 96 says, I've been a member of Model Railways Clubs both in England and on the Continent, and I've never had any problems in any of these Clubs. Indeed I would not be as good a modeller as I am, if it wasn't for numerous expert modellers that I have befriended in clubs in the past. 

Indeed one of the major reasons for joining clubs is so that you can rapidly learn the skills, and rise to be a much better modeller. However you will get nowhere in a club if you do not ask questions, lots of them.

Whatever layouts any specific club has, are open to the membership to utilise. In many cases it is common to have "running nights", where you must bring stock, as it is rare for any club to actually own its own stock. In large clubs they may have different layouts and scales, so it is usual that you attach yourself to a suitable layout and scale that you model in. 

Finally one of the problems of the internet is that many people seem to think they can become quality modellers, via this means. I can guarantee that this will never happen, as you cannot pass skills this way. You can demonstrate and explain various methods on the internet, but you can't learn the skills and little knacks unless you are in the presence of a master modeller. And that means joining a good club, and interacting with the other members. Its a "hands on" learning curve.  

The Duke 71000    

A model railway club would be my preference mainly because I'm a member of Preston & District MRS. The downside is they are all closed because of Covid, although several are hoping for exhibitions around October onwards. As RAF96 says some can be a bit cliquey, but the best thing to do is have a search of the internet for clubs in your area.