Hornby TTS Decoder into 38xx Loco

malcolm_remnant

The R2918 looks to have the 4 way decoder link wiring between the loco and tender - see image below. This means that the decoder and speaker are meant to go in the tender where the 8 pin decoder socket is located.

/media/tinymce_upload/c6b0dc14475e36df9de8ac3599258b5d.jpg

If there is indeed the 4 wire link between the loco and tender, then I strongly recommend that you obtain the official X6468 plug removal tool, as pulling on the delicate wires to remove the plug from the tender is very likely to rip them out of the plug.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Particularly as my reply includes an image, using the 'Blue Button' may result in your reply being held back for image approval, even though it is an existing image.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum. TIPs include 'How to post images' and 'How to make links clickable'.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

I have never done it but looking at that tender, I suspect you will need a different speaker than that supplied with the TTS. I am not into Great Western locos so I will let someone else advise which one is best but a TTS decoder will physically fit and I suggest you look at iphone or sugar cube speakers. The tender looks very much like the one on a King and I know that fits as I fitted my own (I liked the shape and colour of the loco)..

Thanks for the reply Yes there is the 4 wire link wire if the speaker is fitted in the space for it there is no room for the decoder; If the decoder is fitted in the speaker space there is no room for even a small speaker.  I've tried an iphone speaker but tender top will not fit back on.  I have a removal tool.

Service sheet 352 lists R2918 and clearly shows there is provision for a standard round speaker (albeit without an enclosure, so it would have to be sealed with tack) and the decoder will lay on top in the oblong recess. A cube speaker would sit in the onlong recess with the decoder laid crossways behind it.

/media/tinymce_upload/19e1549de5ae098610e9f0e0a6b5daed.png

One thing to watch is the speaker rim does not short on the wheel flanges which protrude into the speaker space (Picture is not 38xx).

/media/tinymce_upload/0feb7afc1986620f8ab998009671fba4.jpg