Images

Flashbang

Welcome back Hornby Forum!

I had to update my password and details and I included the avatar image, but Hornby web site seems to reject it or at least not display the Avatar - Its by no means over sized either. All that happens is I add the Image then click Save, but the timing icon fails after a few seconds!!

I can confirm that Brian's [Flashbang] is not sitting in the Avatar approval queue waiting to be approved. Brian, can you try uploading again please.

Hi Chris

My Avatar was still present, so deleted it and reloaded it, then clicked "Save". Seems to try and save but then gives up after a second. Still not showing!

If privileges have been copied over correctly, I have been allowed to publish images without anyone's approval.

Brian,

I found your second attempt to upload your Avatar in the 'awaiting approval' queue. I approved it, but so far it does not seem to have filtered through the system to appear in your post above. Not sure if there is a built in delay or not between approval & publishing.

Regarding 'image posting rights' in my own case, I performed a test post yesterday and had a test image publish straight away, but I still had to approve my own 'Avatar'. It seems that 'image rights' doesn't include Avatars. However, my memory recollection was that the appearance of my own Avatar was near instant.

For information, I uploaded and approved my Avatar during the period between the website login being available but prior to the forum going live. That might have a bearing.

Mods have already seen two attempts to use unsuitable Avatar images of a female risqué nature that had to be rejected.

If your Avatar still fails to materialise, then I suggest that you open it in an image program, make some slight small edit to it and resave it with a different name, preferably changing the file format if you can ie from .PNG to .JPG or .JPG to .GIF etc and see if a change of file works.

Alternatively, try a completely different 'test image' to start with to see if there is a fundamental upload issue that needs resolving. My assumption being, that if you can upload another image, then changing it to your preferred one might be an easier task.

Brian,

I see the Avatar I approved is now showing.

Question: Did it just appear without you doing anything. Or did you edit it as suggested with perhaps another different mod approving it.

The reason I ask, is that I am trying to work out if there is now an Avatar approval filtering through the system delay now that the forum is back and taking up server space.

Replied and said I hadn't done anything since my previous post but it was now showing correctly. I included a test image as well to see what would happen. The whole post has disappeared, so I'm assuming direct image posting is now no longer permitted! Obviously previous privileges have not been copied over!

I have just checked, and your test post with the loco image was still being shown in the 'awaiting approval' queue, even though it was already posted and showing in this thread. Looks like this part of the new forum is Buggy in some way as it would appear that your loco post published itself after a delay.

To test, I went ahead and approved the queued one and it correctly went from 'waiting approval' to 'approved' status. Then navigating back here showed no difference. That is to say there was no duplicate second image post just the original still published.

Another possibility is that a post awaiting image approval shows itself in two ways. Firstly the post with the image appears in the 'awaiting approval' queue in a 'moderator' part of the website. But the post with the image is also visible to 'moderators' in the thread to which it has been posted with a 'Awaiting Approval' button that non moderator members can't see. Now if one of the other mods, approved the image directly from within the thread, it may a BUG that this does not automatically flush the post from the 'Approval' queue in the main moderation website area. More testing is needed to confirm exactly what is happening.

I am aware that there is still lots of data still to transfer across. For example historical post images. Maybe 'image rights' account status is still something needing transfer as part of the historical image data.

I queried an image that had appeared immediately in topic from a member with only four posts, yet it also appeared in the list for approval.

You can’t have both.

I also found that although I could post any old picture from the iPad without having to use the send to files fudge, I could only post one picture at a time, having to post one, then edit the post to add another, and so on.

As Chris says there are some serious glitches yet to be fettled.

Thanks Guys.

I now have lost all confidence in the IT Company Hornby have employed for their web site upgrade. IMO it is a total disaster with no corrections or Beta testing.

For a major company like Hornby, they have employed a seriously poor IT company for their upgrade, which has taken so far almost 5 weeks to work semi correctly, yet alone iron out any issues!

No Beta testing with a group of former users. No control over what is or is not permitted. No previous permissions transferred.

Over all, disgraceful and for a major on line retailer I'm so disappointed.