What does the remember me button do

morairamike

AC will probably give chapter and verse, as 'Remember Me' is universally used on many site log in pages. I can't confirm this to be the case as personally I use my Browser login password manager to manage my log in credentials instead of 'Remember Me'. But I believe [and stand to be corrected if wrong] that if you don't use a PW manager but check the 'Remember Me' tick box instead. A 'cookie' is set that populates the login 'user name' field, but leaves the 'password' field blank for you to enter manually. In other words a 'time saver'. I believe the use of a 'PW Manager' overwrites this 'Remember Me' feature.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just to advise that the Hornby forum 'Remember Me' button has been fixed.

To test the fix, I ticked the 'Remember Me' check box prior to yesterday's log-in. Then at the end of yesterday's online session I closed down my PC without 'logging out' of the forum. This morning, upon opening my Hornby forum bookmark, I was automatically logged in without any further input from me.

I haven't tested this fix on other non Windows PC platforms, such as Apple MAC, iPad, Android etc.